• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nighttime Dx?

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I'm almost afraid to ask this but I thought skip was only possible during sunlight hours but last night I faintly heard a few stations working on 27.385lsb at about 10pm my time. 1 was in Ok and another in Ms. and couldn't make out the other one. Where these just high power radios talking or have I been missing Dx at night?:confused:

When the solar cycle is high it is not unusual for DX to be there 24 hours.

Enjoy.

When the solar cycle is high it is not unusual for DX to be there 24 hours.

Enjoy.

That would be very unusual on 10 meters. Going well after sundown isn't though. I believe that is the result of sporadic E layer prop. Lingering E-layer ion clouds (not the fluffy white ones) that drift around in random patterns. Not a predictable for reliable form of propagation either.

On rare occasions I have talked to Chicago and Milwaukee and a few other bergs across the lake late at night when there was no skip.

I have talked skip till pretty late in teh evening on either freeband or CB,but after about 11 PM local it would drop out till next day just before daylight...gotta love that grey line dx

Have talked into the wee hours of the morning to S America and the Islands from the Florida QTH, guess it depends on where you are located as to it dropping out late at night.

Also depends on the frequency you are using.

Thanks for explaining this. I couldn't get a reply from them but I also don't have any power hooked up so I only do about 40 watts max on SSB.

I have talked skip till pretty late in teh evening on either freeband or CB,but after about 11 PM local it would drop out till next day just before daylight...gotta love that grey line dx
In the last cycle - I was talking a few times into the Indian Ocean and Central Europe at night time. It was usually around this time of year and 7-8:00pm W. Coast time.

I've talked skip as late as 1:00 AM. In the last few weeks I've talked into PA, NY, Mich, FL, N/SC, West Coast, and TX as late as 10:00 PM from NW Arkansas.

Not so common, but not strange, either.

I can remember a few cycles ago when 11m was open all night long for days/weeks at a time. In the early evening I would be talking to both Europe and California at the same time. Gradually Europe would fade out and conditions would shift to all the west coast and the pacific towards Australia and New Zealand in the late evening. After midnight the band would go short again and I would start working stations in Greenland, Iceland, and Newfoundland and sometimes Ireland. Towards the wee hours of the morning East Africa would be heard often Kenya as well as some Australia would be on before the band would shift back to Europe again as the sun came up to start a new round.

There is nothing better the talking to a few locals on a quiet chanel and somebody from across the country drops in for a short chat.........The best kind of skip.

dxChat
Help Users