• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NiMH Question

They are all of the same make or type in a way, just different chemicals for the mixtures to call them lion or lipo, a lion is lithium ion and a lipo is lithium polymer, both made from the stuff, different chemicals added for different apps. I promise though, lipos are 100% safe if used properly. I have played with them for almost 10 years now an never had one explode yet, and I have many batts for my rx cars and quad copters, ( they aren't drones either lol). Anyway, find some good nimh batts and don't over charge them at too high of a charge rate and all should be fine. Like I said, the lower the charge rate, the longer the life of the battery will be.

They are all of the same make or type in a way, just different chemicals for the mixtures to call them lion or lipo, a lion is lithium ion and a lipo is lithium polymer, both made from the stuff, different chemicals added for different apps. I promise though, lipos are 100% safe if used properly. I have played with them for almost 10 years now an never had one explode yet, and I have many batts for my rx cars and quad copters, ( they aren't drones either lol). Anyway, find some good nimh batts and don't over charge them at too high of a charge rate and all should be fine. Like I said, the lower the charge rate, the longer the life of the battery will be.

I've played a bit with batteries too just not with the lithium polymer ones. I've a bit of exposure to them from my airsoft friends but the ones I'm most familiar with are ni-cads, nimh, and of course the lithium ion ones because I'm kind of a torch guy.

My issue with the nimh ones is that I just can't put them in the charger anytime I get home unlike the baofeng that uses a li-ion and I can keep topped up without the memory effect that plagues the nimh ones.

Another good battery no one has mention is the life po4 cells..
More then enough amps for ht and no memory effect .Also nimh are not as bad as nicd for memory effect ..an easy way around this is just about any rc charger "better ones" have a discharge feature to easily cycle your packs with .I'll. Cycle mine nimh 3 times before putting them to use .The controlled cycle is ideal for breaking these in.

I have had 4 lipo over the years go bad.

2 blew while in rc "bashing" and took out the rc.

The other two swelled while charging ."a sign to watch out for".

A quick Google search will show how dangerous these batteries can be.

The higher the discharge rate "normally 20c and up" the higher the risk .

As for cell phones and small helicopters the discharge rate is between 1-10 c so it's more stable.

All four packs I had that went bad were 120c + 10000mah packs.

If you do use these install lipo cutoff circuit before use "any rc hobby shop will have these or atleast should "

Nimh batteries of course are not all the same.i find high discharge rate cells have less tendency for memory effect then standard cells .These can be easily found at most online hobby shops or simply batteries is a favorite of mine.

The A size 5000mah 10 amp draw "I'm at the shop I don't have a part number in front of me" works extremely well for ht although since it's a A Size and not aa or aaa some case modification is needed .I use these for my ht and receiver packs on my nitro rc and I'm not the best of letting it fully discharge before topping it off .

When it comes to charging nimh cells a slow charge "I use .1 amp charge "100 milliamps" and gives you a longer run time..a fast charge will give you a slightly higher standing voltage on the cells "old rc racing trick" and also helps flash back a weak cell for a couple more cycles .

Reactions: 1 person
My issue with the nimh ones is that I just can't put them in the charger anytime I get home unlike the baofeng that uses a li-ion and I can keep topped up without the memory effect that plagues the nimh ones.

I have never had a problem with any NiMh batteries I have used. I use a bunch in my MF-269 antenna analyzer and a couple HT's without issue. I know the old NiCd batteries had a memory effect problem but IIRC the issue is not supposed to be as much of a problem with NiMh batteries. YMMV.

Now watch. I need to use my antenna analyzer and a couple HT's in week or so. Any bets now that I mentioned it that the batteries will be toast? :cry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.