• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NMO Mount Roof Installation Question

wcsd106

Nov 19, 2009
I've got a 1989 Chevrolet K2500 4x4 that I use to haul my boat / get around in the snow. Currently I have a homemade 1/4 wave 2m magnet mount antenna on the center of the roof.

I'm wanting to do away with the magmount and go with a NMO style antenna. I've installed these before by drilling a 3/4" hole through the trunk lid on Sedans. I've never installed one through the roof.

I've got full access to remove the headliner, so I can easily locate the ribs in the roof, but when I've looked at this it appears that roof is a double-layer of metal. Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions and let me know whether I can simply drill the hole where I need to and install the nmo mount?

Any advice will be appreciated, I've always gotten good responses from this forum. Thanks.

Don't remove the headliner. Too much work for nothing. Pull out the third brake light instead. Use some sort of fishtape to pull the coax. Quick and easy. ( I don't believe the roof is double panel, by the way. I could be wrong here, though.)

Don't remove the headliner. Too much work for nothing. Pull out the third brake light instead. Use some sort of fishtape to pull the coax. Quick and easy. ( I don't believe the roof is double panel, by the way. I could be wrong here, though.)

How would you get at the underside "nut" on the NMO?

As with any type of antenna mount, you have to be careful not to 'over-load' an NMO mount. They are not made to hold up big antennas. But then, neither are those '239' type mounts. I like them, and will use one where it's applicable.
They are a bit 'different' than the typical 'CB' antenna mount, so, you have to pay attention to what you're doing with them. They've been around and used for some fairly rough installations/uses for a long time. I really doubt if a 'better' replacement comes along real soon. As long as you don't get too 'wild' with them, they work just dandy. What any mount is 'mounted too' is just as important as the mount.
- 'Doc

(Just cuz I like it it's gotta be good? Yeah, right. Want me to introduce you to my 'EX'?) ;)

Thanks for the replies.

The antenna I'm planning on installing shouldn't tax the mount at all.. I'm going to be putting a 1/4 wave VHF antenna onto the mount.

Third brake light is not going to be an option... Truck isn't new enough to have one :(

I'm going to go with a stake hole mount for my F150. It's a long bed so there's three sets. I'll use the middle driver's side to mount a 5/8 wave 2m/440 dual band. The first set are too close to the cab and are under a toolbox anyway, and I'd rather keep the pair by the tailgate empty because I can be clumsy loading heavy stuff.

B

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.