• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NO DC Relay Coil Collapsing Circuits

Naysayer

Mar 6, 2020
New York
Relays have occupied my recent free time.
After seeing how slow it is for 1 relay to control another and maybe even a 3rd relay, I had to do something.

In my online wanderings I found that in the case of NO, DC-coil relays that carry significant voltage or current, the opening is more of a priority than the closing. The tendency for contacts to micro tac-weld plus, the electro-magnetic force of the coil itself prolongs the break time. Placing a diode across the coil is the slowest method to collapse the coil’s energy field.

TE Connectivity published several Application Notes concerning relays that I found very helpful. These Notes are not product specific and address the issue of accelerating relay opening times in general terms w/ diagrams.

These Application Notes list the common methods to collapse coil fields with their release times and circuit diagrams.

The 2nd fastest method requires the addition of a Zener in-series with a diode connected Anode to Anode or K to K, across the coil.
neil, NYC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

If you are discussing using relays for RF switching like in a tuner or an amplifier the switching speed is not really a concern as long as you stage them properly. On bigger boxes, 5kw+, build any kinda circuit you can muster to make the output relay close before the input relay so it never hot switches.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.