• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

no deadkey but swing on AM

B

BOOTY MONSTER

uniden washington , lights up and recieves . no deadkey but swings above 10 watts . no deadkey power but pegged meter on 10 watt level when i said WTF out loud when no deadkey showed . turned mic gain all the way down after that . went to check swr because just got the radio . not enough to get a reading to set swr on my astatic 700 meter . and doesnt show any deadkey power on the 1-10 watt range of the meter . talked on phone to who i got it from and tried bypassing the variable , no luck . adjusted vr6 GENTLY each direction with no difference . took meter out to mobile and it operated properly . used the same jumper also and checked it for contiunity while jiggling it and it passed . has a variable on the back , bypasses it and still no change . when keying mic , meter on radio swings backwards looking pegged but swings fully forward when modulation is allowed .
any ideas on what else i can try ?? keeping in mind i am not a tech . the seller is still trying to help and promises to make things right . apparently the radio was %100 when it left his place , but it got lost in the back of a deliver truck ..... for a week ..... somehow (USPS SUCKS!!!) .

booty,

i have actually created this condition on this chassis before while experimenting with different modulation mods.

if you were to lift R121 (99% sure this is the one. if not its R204) then you would have this same thing happen.
no deadkey, but would have modulation.

R121 is a 1K resistor. maybe you can look around in the area where VR6 was, and see if this resistor is in place and has good solder connections.

you say your tech added a variable power to the radio, which means to me that he removed VR6, and soldered three wires in place of it that run to the pot that is mounted on the back of the radio.

check each of these wires very carefully at each end for signs of a bad solder joint or a loose connection.
also check the pot itself. wiggle the knob around while you are keyed up and see if the deadkey comes and goes.

your tech and i know eachother from another group, and if you want, you can have him PM me to discuss different possibilities and mods that he did.

just out of curiosity, what is the part number on TR34?

it looks like your driver and final but is mounted over near VR6 on the same wall as the audio chip.

on your power supply board, there is another transistor that looks the same.
what is the part number on that one?

i have a couple of suggestions that will make this chassis much more robust.
let me know if you want me to put them here in this thread or if you want to PM me thats fine too.

if you end up having to send the radio back to your tech, maybe you can buy a few parts from mouser electronics that shouldnt run you much over 10.00+shipping. (mouser has no minimum order!) and have him solder them in place for you.

also, how old is this radio.
look at the tag on the back and tell me where it was made, and what the serial number is if there is no date.

good luck with it,
LC

thanks for the help LC . 557 is a lil less than a hour away and hes gonna take a look at it for me . i dont know enough about the guts of radios to mess around in them .

thanks again .

i think my radio is fixed .
took it to 557's home last night and he worked on it . plugged it in this morning and talked bare foot to new york on my home brew wire antenna .
id say thats not too shabby :)

thanks for helping LC .

im no tech , but i think 557 totally redid the variable . rewired it to a 3 wire variable (was a 2 wire) added a transistor/cap thingy , changed it to a potimeter that was better suited to the job , fixed a place where one of the wires for the variable was loose on the board (thanks USPS :( ) and added a resistor or something there . he also checked the output from the radios power supply , its variable like the cobra 142GTL , it was 14.8 or 14.6 volts , i forget which one . so im a happy camper . my lollypop should be here tomorrow or tuesday :)
on my astatic 700 itll now deadkey from 3/4 watt to almost 4 watts and will modulate (not whistle) about 16-17 watts .

557 really came through for me .

sounds good, glad it got fixed for ya.

BF, yes, its double sideband suppressed carrier mode.
very easy to do in this chassis, but it makes you sound like crap. LOL

PS-i wanted to use nicknames in answering this thread, but then i would have been talking to booty and butt. :LOL:

later,
LC

LOL
I have a 2510 that had the variable power mod done to it and was having the same problem LOUD crappy audio, no carrier/dkey, Heavy swing, well yes it was "double side band suppressed carrier" mode. The mod I had for the variable plays with the carrier in the early stage. In my case the variable was faulty(bad contact) same as if circuit was open or wire disconected.

Funny how there is another post about the best way to clean a potentiometer going on. I posted what works for me there.

Hey wait. Maybe this can be the ticket for a new super duper heavy swing mod! 1/16 watt dk - full swing.. lol
;)

Glad all worked out for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.