• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noisy 2970DX

Shadowman2

Nov 24, 2005
Would it be natural for a 2970 DX to be noisier on receive after an alignment then it was before? Logic would say that the receive might be stronger, thus causing it to be noisier, but, that's only my opinion. This is most likely a newbie question, but, I figured at least on this forum I'll get an intelligent answer. Appreciate the help.

And a quick Google on DSP speaker, I can see what you mean by an expensive route, but, worthy of a second look!

Last edited:

Many CB alignment procedures call for a series of peaking each receive section to achieve a maximum S unit reading. The problem is that this can often result in a higher noise floor. The really good techs know how to strike a balance between the two, which helps a lot, but you'll never find anything published about this...it's learned through trial and error. Unfortunately, this is also a symptom of the limitations of the receivers of CBs. One (slightly expensive) way to get around this problem is to purchase a DSP external speaker. You'll be surprised what you can hear if you're willing to fork over the cash,.

The Rangers are known for having strong (loud) receivers. I usually turn mine down. You can simply reduce the RF gain, or perform the below: Note, this works on the older 2950's but I don't think the design has changed all that much. Look for these components. If they're there, then it should work.

You'll need to leave radio connected to power and antenna. This is a "live" procedure and you'll need to be able to hear the adjustment changes you're making to the rig.

Remove bottom cover, leave speaker connected and set over to the side. Locate Cans R2 & R3. They should be right below the finals near the near of the radio and about 1 inch down. Turn each clockwise a few turns until receiver quiets to where you want it.

All done. Have a nice day
128fs318181.gif

interview.gif

Would it be natural for a 2970 DX to be noisier on receive after an alignment then it was before? Logic would say that the receive might be stronger, thus causing it to be noisier, but, that's only my opinion. This is most likely a newbie question, but, I figured at least on this forum I'll get an intelligent answer. Appreciate the help.

It's just a tad more complicated than wired weasel makes it out to be, thanks to cbtricks for the service manual .

Noisy receive

I think I have the balance between the RF gain setting and the squelch set well enough to resolve the noise issue. Thanks for the replies. As stated, I knew I'd get some intelligent feed back.

Noisy receive

I think I have the balance between the RF gain setting and the squelch set well enough to resolve the noise issue. Thanks for the replies. As stated, I knew I'd get some intelligent feed back

A quick Google for DSP speakers attests to the expensive route, but, worthy of a second look!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.