• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Northpoint NT-9 HP

baco

May 24, 2005
South Florida
www.domini-noctem.com
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
My name is Ed and I'm from south Florida.

*** NORTHPOINT NT-9HP ***

Has anyone had experience with the new Northpoint NT-9 HP?
I have also been looking for better pictures of the radio as the northpoint website picture resolution is so poor I can't even read the labels on the radio's bottons. Besides that, wonder what are the pros and cons of this new piece of equipment.

Side band?
Can it be modified?

Thanks,
Ed

I found the answer.

one of the keys (DIM) was modified and the channel selector will display from n1 to n8 when on DIM.
(This means there are 8 bands with 40 channels each = 320 channels total).
Select your desired band and switch the key to BRT. The channel selector will show 01 to 40 and the frequencimeter will display the frequency you're in depending on the band.

Band / Freq. range:
n1 = 25.165 - 25.605
n2 = 25.615 - 26.055
n3 = 26.065 - 26.505
n4 = 26.515 - 26.955
n5 = 26.965 - 27.405 (CB)
n6 = 27.415 - 27.855
n7 = 27.865 - 28.305 (10m starts)
n8 = 28.315 - 28.755

AM / FM / USB / LSB

Clarifier coarse = 5khz +/-

Laters...

Will do - I'm testing one and so far so good except for:

1) The factory manual is full of flaws / typos / mistakes - don't go by the manual.
2) The northpoint website doesn't even say the radio has SSB (a much wanted feature on radio this expensive) but highlights a bunch of other features.

:x
BAD NEWS

The brand new Northpoint NT-9 HP shutdown burning the original 10AMPs fuse on RX mode!!!! - right on the 1st day with 5 minutes of usage.
The radio was properly installed replacing a Cobra 148 FGTL that ran there for years. SWR was 1:2 ~ 1:3 max within the 40 channels. I used channel 19 to radio check. After keying in and requesting a radio check the radio went crazy with a long and loud tone... the S-Meter hitted 9+60 and the radio shutdown.
The 10AMPs fuse burned out.
I replaced it with a new 10AMPs fuse. No signs of life. To test it out... I connected the power cable from the northpoint on the old Cobra 148 FGTL... it powered on normally. So the Northpoint died... now what? It was a really strange behaviour.

I have the radio going back to the store per suggestion of their technician after explaining the situation over the phone.

Anyone suggests replacing the radio with another model? Magnum S-9 perhaps?

NT-9 pretended to be dead!

update...

Got a call last Friday from the technician... he said he received the radio and it was working fine.
Took it out of the box and powered on OK... used it for a few hours talking on it and no problems at all.
The store technician said this radio needs more power than the Cobra 148 (I used to compare) and I needed to make sure the connection was strong.
Now... here is my question, and perhaps I should email Northpoint...
Does the NT-9 have a shutdown protection circuit if things go wrong?
For the life of me... I did verify good current when the radio died on me. The same power connector lit up the Cobra but not the NT-9. So... maybe such protection was disabled by the time the radio got to the tech... who knows!?

NT-9 pretended to be dead and I sounded pretty stupid when the tech told me the radio had no problems at all.

Hello,

No there isn't any type of circuit in these radios that would "Shut" the radio down like you have described. Really the only time we've see a situation like this is when there is a poor or loose solder connection where the power wire is soldered to the board.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.