• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Northpoint NT-9 HP

UPDATE:

The NT-9 is now installed in my car. Works fine except for two annoying problems I describe below:

1 - Stays in TX making noises after PTT is released - will only stop (back to RX) or operate normal if I touch any metal part of the radio. (lacking ground?)

2 - Frequencimeter fluctuating up and down as radio warms up. (e.i.: 27.185.0 ~ 27.184.9 on and off) - I can live with it and perhaps because the clarifiers are too sensitive (-+5Khz), just gotta keep adjusting it to zero out.

Any suggestions will be welcomed!!

Baco

Cant help you on the first problem but the second is normal for all radios. Its called drift and they all do it till they get warmed up to operating temperature

I appreciate your input there.

As far as the problem 1 - I think the 1st problem has been resolved by removing the SWR metter and its old cable between the radio and the antenna. No more noises stuck in TRANSMIT (TX). Works well now and seems like the audio also improved in quality.
I will run some "radio checks" this evening and confirm it.

people complain my modulation in SSB is wobble. it gets better if I have the engine running and I suspect I will have to run the 9 gauge wire directly to the battery. the negative is already hooked to the same screw the battery negative is attached to.
both wires are 9 gauge... more than enough for a 10m export radio.
wobble modulation is really annoying and I hope to get it cleared once the (+) positive is hooked to the battery.

Baco

Hmmm. That would make it a coin-toss, as to whether the wattmeter had a rotten ground on the coax sockets, OR the coax jumper had a rotten ground connection to the cable's shield braid.

--- OR --- maybe both of them were screwing up the antenna's ground circuit?

Odds are that the Northpoint uses the same 9-Volt regulator circuit that the other 'export' radios use to regulate power to the PLL and the crystals. Having to run the motor indicates that this regulator is set too high. Not so rare.

Either 'tweaking' a resistor in that regulator, to turn it down to 8 Volts, OR putting a 7805T chip in its place will usually permit you to use SSB with the motor off. Trouble is, this will reduce your PEP on transmit by as much as 10 or 15 percent.

Or you could just run the motor when you're talking sideband.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Thanks a lot nomadradio! - I will also try this radio at home with a power supply... I need to run some TX monitoring myself... some reports conflit. AM seems to be perfect the only issue pops up on SSB.
Another annoyance is... can't turn that roger beep off!

Baco

Baco,

The NorthPoint warranty center supposedly has the fix for the frequency counter fluctuating problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.