• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not getting my ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YardDog

WDX-128 N/W Arkansas
Jan 29, 2021
N/W Arkansas
I'll hope I don't get banned. You can bash 11m all you want but heaven forbid you not bow down to amateur radio bands, so be it.
Don't think I'm going to get my ham license. Been listening in on the bands all night. Everyone is obsessed with looking up every operator's info on qrz and other sites. They all just "Have" to know an operators full name and physical address and email and pictures of where they live. Why? I'm not hiding or paranoid and I'm not worried about burglars or identity theft. I don't mind providing that info to the fcc. But it should be my choice who knows anything more than a call sign when I key a mic.
Not trying to start a shit storm so unless a reply is constructive, please refrain. Just wanted to say why myself and many others won't get a ticket to join and transmit on amateur radio.

YardDog:

There are people whose home addresses are protected from disclosure under state law. For example: judges, police officers and other public officials. I know a few of them who are into CB but won't pursue their amateur tickets precisely because they are obligated by law not to disclose their home addresses to any entity or forum where that information would be accessible to the public.

And to your point, I can see perfectly legitimate reasons where others - not just judges, police officers, etc. - would also want to keep their information out of the public domain.

If you are worried about crime due to your callsign being public, keep in mind that 99.9% of the contacts you make with criminals looking to steal gear will be far enough away where he has ham shack pickins in his own back yard ~ no need to drive to your place unless you sit on the air and brag about all the expensive gear you own. Just tell people you run an old beat up yeasu and enjoy what being a ham can offer. It's fun to be able to legally build your own transmitters, work NVIS and other propagation that isn't possible on 11m, access satelite repeaters etc.

If you own a decent amount of gear, you can probably afford insurance on it. If you cannot, the Second Amendment has you covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.