• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nothing else like it!

Lefty

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 9, 2012
S.W. Ohio
Sitting down here in the shack. Got the DX-160 fired up on 40M, warmed up my little 5W home brewed 6T9 transmitter. Plugged in the J-38 and zero beat the RX and called CQ on 7.040. Have myself a nice little QSO with a fella in PA.

It's a nice day! (y)

73!
Dan

Reactions: 1 person

It does make you feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't it? I remember doing the same thing when I had a DX-160 before I got the Kenwood R-1000. My HB rig was also on 40m but was a single 6L6GC running at 7 watts output. (y)

Hey Dam can you shoot me a copy of the plan you used for your transmitter and also what freq. do you use on 40?

Hey Dam can you shoot me a copy of the plan you used for your transmitter and also what freq. do you use on 40?

I sure can. I'll have to find the article I used. It's in the March 1972 QST and the 1973 ARRL Handbook.

Very simple and fun to build. It's also surprisingly stable with minor chirp.

I'm mostly on 7.040. I made some mistakes in the layout as far as making band changes simple, thought about fixing it but since it's my first totally home brew rig I'm keeping it the way it is. :D

I do have an old Black Cat amp power supply, a 6L6, 807, and a 6146 laying around. Think I'll do another one and make it pretty! :drool:

It does make you feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't it? I remember doing the same thing when I had a DX-160 before I got the Kenwood R-1000. My HB rig was also on 40m but was a single 6L6GC running at 7 watts output. (y)

I was looking at the 6L6 circuits also, lots of them out there.
I choose the 6T9 because it's a dual tube that works as an oscillator and amplifier. Low part count and pretty versatile little transmitter.

I've been on 7.040 most nights and have been working folks like crazy. Amazing how many contacts can be made with such a little rig. <proof> Lot's of QSL's. (y)

I used the 6L6GC because the diagram I found used it and I had a few new ones waiting to be put to use. The 6L6GC also makes a good high power oscillator and can produce up to 10 watts or so with just the drive from a god crystal. I believe I got the diagram from an old issue of 73 magazine. I should look through the issues for it. I managed to download ALL the issues of 73,over 500 issues, so it may take some time to find it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.