• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Odd Splits for Yaesu FT-8800R

deputyjoel

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 18, 2009
I'm trying to set up my Yaesu 8800 for odd split repeater use. I have the radio set up per the manual, but I can't get it to work correctly. The repeater system does use DCS codes (seperate transmit code 23 and receive code 65) and I'm wondering if the codes are stored properly in the transmit split memory. Meaning, I've stored the receive set up with DCS codes into memory and it works for receive (I can hear the repeater when others are using it). All is good! Then I go the the VFO and dial up the transmit frequency and a different DCS code and go through the process to store this in the same memory as the odd split transmit freq. I don't know of a way to look at the this transmit freq to see if it is sending the correct DCS code since it is stored over the same memory. In any event, I've done the process several times and it does not work with the repeater. It does transmit on the odd frequency, you can see that when you hit the transmit PTT, but of course you cannot see any info. With the dual VFO feature on the 8800 I can set the left side to transmit and the right side to receive and I can make it work in that way, however, it should be possible to set this up to work as the odd split in the same memory per the manual. It should be noted that this repeater is outside the ameture band and on a work related repeater around 150 MHz. So, just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or any ideas?

Thanks as always!

Last edited:

I don't have that radio, but I've seen something similar to this before. Try this and let us know what happens:

On the RX frequency, take off the DCS code. Make it so that it has no type of tone or code squelch. It should still receive the repeater but it will also receive anything else transmitted on that frequency. This shouldn't really be an issue because if the repeater is licensed, it will be the only thing on that frequency in the area.

Now put the DCS code only on the TX memory of the odd-split pair. I bet it will now work. I saw something like this on my VX-8. When I contacted Yaesu tech support, they swore it shouldn't work that way, but it did.

Let us know if that works.

Thanks Moleculo! It is a little late now, but I'll give it a shot in the morning and report back. It makes sense!

Well, I found the answer and perhaps this will help someone in a similar situation. It appears that the tone code frequency CTCSS or DCS that is transmitted is maintained in the initially stored receive frequency and not in the odd split (transmit frequency). What I did and it worked was ensure that the transmit tone code was saved under the receive frequency and all decoding was turned off (encode only). So, it didn't matter that the receieve frequency tone was incorrect becuse it was not decoding. Kinda weird, but I used this method to program my VX-3R, VX-8R, FT-7800R and my FT-8800R and it worked on all of them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.