• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OK, let's restore an old Marine AM transceiver

fuzzyface

Dec 10, 2010
Hi,

One of the things I have on my todo plate is to find an old Apelco, etc AM marine transceiver and modify it for 160, 80 & 40 Meter AM. I have been having a ball on re-finding AM around 3800-3900 with my restored Bauer 707. But, now I need a winter project and would like to put a restored marine radio in the truck. OK, sounds silly, but it will be a retro fun project.

So, anyone have any of the old marine radios around and would like to discuss restoring them???

I've had a marine transceiver monkey on my back for a while also. Did some research a couple of years ago on these. One thing I remember is look for the later models with the solid-state hv supply- (no vibrator). So that cures that headache. Still tube-type just no plug-in vibrator. If you get a later model it will more than likely have ceramic caps - big plus in my (limited) book. I'm a marine tech and I'll do some digging around some of the larger shops this winter. If I get lucky I'll post or PM you. Gud luck! Rumrunner out...

Been there done that. The ones with transistor modulators can work OK. One band would be the way to go. Not much room for bandswitching and poor layout over 80 meters.
The modulator section will most likely need extra cooling. These radios were designed for very short transmit time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.