• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old Turner +3 connection to Galaxy DX-959

Double W

Sep 21, 2013
Bucks Co, PA
Hello All, been lurking here for a while, decided to join the other day.

Anyway, I have an old Turner +3 that I bought new when I was 15 in 1972. I would like to connect it to my new Galaxy DX 959, and I am sure you guys can help me with the connections to the mike plug. My 4 wire colors are red, white, green, and black. Can I assume the green wire is the shield?

Just want to be sure so I don't screw anything up!

Thanks for the replies.

W9CLL, my wire colors are red, white, green, and black. I think my +3 is an "old four wire version". I think, but I am not sure, that the green wire is the shield. There is continuity with no resistance from the green wire to the metal chassis of the microphone.

I just want to be sure before I connect this to my radio. Last thing I want to do is short something out and harm my new DX-959.

Thanks.

The green wire must be the shield that is slightly corroded. Now don't hold me to this but it might not work because it's only 4 wire.

Last edited:
The green wire must be the shield that is slightly corroded. Now don't hold me to this but it might not work because it's only 4 wire.

The green wire is a jacketed wire which is colored green, it's not a bare copper wire that has corroded.

Anyway, still looking for suggestions on how to wire this mic properly.

Thanks

The green wire is a jacketed wire which is colored green, it's not a bare copper wire that has corroded.

Anyway, still looking for suggestions on how to wire this mic properly.

Thanks
Not to be rude but have you googled it? I really don't think it's going to work which is why you have not received many answers. If it was the six wire version then there would be no problems at all

Not to be rude but have you googled it? I really don't think it's going to work which is why you have not received many answers. If it was the six wire version then there would be no problems at all

I did google it, and it brought me to this site.

I guess I will look elsewhere.

Thanks anyway.

I'm sure that there are Turner owners here on this forum that would love to help. I remember before the days of internet I wired my mic's the ole fashioned way. If you can ascertain what wires do what in your Turner the rest should be a snap.

There was two style of mics, 4 wire and 6. Most 4 wire ones worked fine with relay switched rigs and 6 wire worked with electronic switching. Good luck with your quest but as has been said if there was an answer to make it work you would have had it now.

i have 3 tuner mics. plus 2,plus3, ssk. none of them have a green wire.
and the ssk has 6 wires. so you got 1 of 2 things. either someone
replaced the cord with a different. or the shield wire turned green. [already mentioned]
if you decide i HIGHLY reccomend you use a mic tester. as im not sure why
theres a green wire. so heres what i got
tuner 4pin /4 wire
1/shield
2/white =audio
3/black=tx
4/red=rx

Reactions: midnight special
My +3

I have the same problem...My +3 has a Red, White, Black and shield wire...I have wired it every configuration I can find any reference to and NOTHING has worked for me. Funny, I was searching for the same answer your are....sorry I could not help. TD

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: