• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Omega Force S 45 HP problem

I bought one of these 45HP's new from one of the famous venders for such items and am pleased with the TX/RX performance on AM. SSB of course is OK but not the strong point of this radio. SSB stability is always a big question and this radio is OK there too. It's no 2970N2 but its good enough to use after you've cranked the mic gain down and turned the RF power up. All this can be done from the front panel as I've done nothing to the radio inside except for the jumper swap. This radio did 80+ watts peak on AM right out of the box. SSB was about the same around 70 watts. Echo was badass and the modulator is, well LOUD! Never had a radio with all these options built in. Very well made and the layout is different then most others, but easy to see the adjustments if needed. After jumper mod. I spent the better part of 2 hours beating up this radio. Ch 19 to SSB freeband, then some 10 meter work and the RFX 75 was warm to the touch but not burning hot. All of this was done with the SSB power wide open and AM set to around 8-10 watt dead key and swinging to the 80 watt mark on the Bird. I couldn't break it!!

Now as for the operator that had the weird SSB t/r relay "sticking" I found this by accident too. It appears that the S45HP is kinda sensitive to antenna reactance. I ran mine through a tuner to a dipole I use and because I had to use a large amount to TX capacitance to get the match right it would cause the radio to hang in between TX/RX. I didn't notice any RF power being produce but it killed the recieve. I put the radio into my dummy load and it worked like a champ with no issue and full power out. Took my MFJ antenna analyzer to my tuner and saw that the SWR was low but the reactance was over 15. Adjusted the tuner until the reactance was around 5 but of course the SWR was about 1.8:1, but no more t/r relay hang up. With that high level of reactance the antenna system begins to have a capacitive effect. This is quick way to explain this issue. One way to fix this is simply a stronger so to speak relay. Pull back spring tension greater etc.
Anyway if your antenna is close to resonance than you should be OK.
All in all a good radio and one I would buy again.

Last edited:
I did a little further study of the SSB t/r relay sticking issue. I've found that the RFX75 is breaking into oscillation at certain power levels relative to the antenna reactance and RF power control setting. Mostly the higher power setting above say 40 watts I've really noticed it. When using the dummy load there is no probelm reguardless of power level on SSB. I did observe RF power jumping up and down with associated noise from the radio. No issues in AM or FM just SSB. I need a schematic of the keying circuit and the RFX75 wiring as it connects to the radio in order to effect a solution. I will contact RF Limited and bring this up to them since more than one radio has this issue.

Reactions: 1 person
Just for the record My S45HP omegaforce boutht end of oct 2011
AM on low DK 3 swing 30
am High DK 14 swing 40
am low with MTX on DK 3 swing 45
am high MTX on DK14 Swing 45
SSM with MTX on or off 60+ Yes it can be tweeked but it works and sounds great as is. The olny I did was adjust stock MIC.

So he set up a switch to bypass the RFX75 so you can just run using the radio 2030's?

Be interesting to hear what Magnum will say about warranty on a radio that's been modded in that fashion.

I'm not sure if thats the way it works or not...R.R. said he had installed this mod on some S 45's before tho...

Regardless...with switch in the ON or OFF position, if the radio sits over a day, sometimes it wont come on...well. It comes on, just wont receive or transmit.

Finally got a hold of Sam, and got a RA# and sent the radio into "The Radio Shop", but it's only been a couple of days since I shipped it off, so I haven't herd back on what they found out yet...

I've had a radio in the past that R.R put a switch on like that, to back off the output some, and never had a issue with it...Think that was a Stryker 440 I had once...don't remember for sure now tho...been a few years!

I also herd that those RFX 75's do get real hot, and need a fan, but while I had the S45 hooked up, I checked the RFX several times by sticking my hand on it after long usage, and the thing was barley even warm...Yet it was swinging close to 90w's on AM.

Hopefully it's just a minor problem like a solder joint problem somewhere...Or maybe something got knocked loose when the FedEx guy dropped-kicked it over my fence...who knows....:eek:

just curious ...... since there's a RF variable on the front of the radio , why did you want a toggle modded into the back of it ?

i have magnum s45 and i have no problems at all, had it for three years now and no problems what so ever, maybe you lust have a lemon!! good luck!!!!!!!

Well after sending the S45 HP off to "The Radio Shop" for warranty repair work...One month later I finally got it back today.

Hooked it up to see if it was working any better, and all "seems" to be fine now.

Talk Back sounds good...Echo is 100% better sounding than it was...turned it On and OFF about a dozen times, and it fired right up each time...

Didn't get a chance to check out the SWR readings because of storms in the area, but I did get a radio check on channel 28 from a guy in a town about 30 miles south of me, and he said the radio sounded clear as a bell...And that was just bearfoot sitting in my driveway with the radio hooked up to my work vans antenna...

Wasn't any letter or work order in the box from The Radio Shop, so I don't know what all they did, or found out what was the problem...

But it's working now....oh, and the switch Rolling Radios put on the back of the unit to lower the output some for the Amp is still there, and working so I guess that wasn't the problem.

Well after sending the S45 HP off to "The Radio Shop" for warranty repair work...One month later I finally got it back today.

Hooked it up to see if it was working any better, and all "seems" to be fine now.

Talk Back sounds good...Echo is 100% better sounding than it was...turned it On and OFF about a dozen times, and it fired right up each time...

Didn't get a chance to check out the SWR readings because of storms in the area, but I did get a radio check on channel 28 from a guy in a town about 30 miles south of me, and he said the radio sounded clear as a bell...And that was just bearfoot sitting in my driveway with the radio hooked up to my work vans antenna...

Wasn't any letter or work order in the box from The Radio Shop, so I don't know what all they did, or found out what was the problem...

But it's working now....oh, and the switch Rolling Radios put on the back of the unit to lower the output some for the Amp is still there, and working so I guess that wasn't the problem.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Chris at the Radio Shop is a real nice guy too, I don't think I ever got any paperwork either unless I was paying.

good 2 hear jjd.

Update...Radio worked great first day I hooked it back up....

Second day...Not so good. Radio is back to doing the same thing it was before...Turn it on. Everything lights up, but no TX or RX...Like the antenna is disconnected.

But after about a half hour of fiddling with it, it will start working, and keep working rest of the day with turning it on and off, never misses a beat...

But let it sit over night, and then it's back to not coming on again...

And this time I never turned on the Amp...Just ran the radio bear foot, and same old problem came back...

Talk-back and echo sound better than before, just the radio has a problem on start up...so back in the box for the $300+ paper weight...

That's a shame, I have had a bunch of Magnums without any issues now it seems anything bought new in this last round of production is messed up. I heard and saw a bunch of 257HP radios, now looks like it's going to be the Omega's, I know Sam Lewis will take care of it but why the hell d:censored:o be all have to be the Radio Test Dummies.

That's a shame, I have had a bunch of Magnums without any issues now it seems anything bought new in this last round of production is messed up. I heard and saw a bunch of 257HP radios, now looks like it's going to be the Omega's, I know Sam Lewis will take care of it but why the hell d:censored:o be all have to be the Radio Test Dummies.

One things for sure with this radio...It's great in DX! It's making the trip to Cali just fine! (Thanks to the UPS drivers):whistle:

sad to hear . i quess we're back to the RCI 29xx radios being the only new stable SSB export/CB's that hold up :(

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.