• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

One of the hardest things Ive ever had to do

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Yesterday at 3:30 we had to put our 12 year family pet German Shepherd down and I can tell you this was so tough like losing a family member as strange as that may sound. we are having a tough time with this its so crazy emotionally.

I havent slept but a few short hours since Weds when she just couldnt walk anymore I had to carry that dog outside and back inside for potty breaks and fresh air. This was hard for me because Mandy has been at my side all through my Cancer and when it came to her end I just couldnt help her anymore.

We took her in yesterday and they put her to sleep it was tough carrying that dog in there and then being present for this whole ordeal but we knew it would be tough but we wanted her to feel comfortable and know we were there not just a stranger vet and assistant My heart still aches I miss that damn dog LOL.

It just seems somethings missing well we know somethings missing. Its just so crazy how the dogs or animals can truly grow on ones family and grow to be a part of the family she sure will be missed but she went so peacefully and in just seconds it still hurts but time is what heals in a situation such as this I guess.

I know some of you have been through this and understand some just simply dont care and some have no clue but its tough for the whole family and after this happens you think about how sometimes we take the pets for granted and find out you dont know what you got untils its gone. How true I found out this really is.

You cherrish those pets because when there gone all you have is memories as I said I can think of numerous hours where this dog just laid or sat by me Kinda funny as if she knew I was sick. We actually paid more to put her down and have her cremated the what we paid for this purebread German Shepherd sometimes you dont have to try and justify these things I guess we just know its ok to do.

The healing starts now and Im sure it will take time I am so heartbroke and my poor wife and kids know Im taking it the worst and isnt dad supposed to hold everyone else up?? They understand dad spent the most time with the dog so its all good I guess all I know is I hope this feeling subsides sooner then later. :sad:
Mandy.jpg

Last edited:

I feel your pain i've been there myself ..there are times I still think my dog is lying in its old spot and I try not to bump into it.. old habits are hard to break ..just remember the good times ..the memories will always be there..sorry for your loss

Last edited:
I'm with ya Tony

Have two buried out in the side yard and three still on the Active Roster

Man's best friend indeed.

The more I understand women, the better I like my dogs, radios and truck.

i really feel for ya Tony . last saturday (march 20) marked one year since i had to let my beloved Chewie go . she was diagnosed with cancer 3 years earlier and we were told 3 -12 months max . the day finally came to do what was best to save her from her last few months of going down hill fast , we wanted her to still have some dignity when her time came . all of us gathered at the house and had dinner with her and she had icecream and carrot cake for dessert (minus the nuts) . then the vet came and we all had our last moments with her and she got to go in her home surrounded by her family . i cried several times a day for a while , then just once a day , a year later i still cry a few times a week over her . the worst is when im alone and driving or i see another dog that looks like her . im so grateful for the 13 years she was in my life ........

some folks may not understand the love we have for our pets , but thats because they have never felt the unconditional love and devotion they gave us . thats their loss ...

I know your pain my friend. It is coming up on five years since we had to put Samson down. He was 1/2 German Sheppard and 1/2 Alaskan Malamute and was just over 12 years old. He was our first born so to speak. He would lay in the direct sun instead of the shade just to guard the kids when they were in a stroller in the yard and I know he would fight to the death to defend them. We knew we would have to put him down before winter set in but one night after supper in June he bolted to chase a stray dog and then collapsed on the lawn unable to get up. He broke his hips. I stayed up all night with him and in the morning the wife and I took him to the vet. He knew what was coming, he sensed it............................ Jeeesh, even now I still feel tears wanting to appear as I think of him. :cry: A good dog truely is man's best friend for they do not judge you and they will treat you as a king and all for a little affection in return.

RIP Samson
RIP Mandy

Tony, I feel for you ,but you did the right thing as hard as it may have been. There are people that can't understand the way we feel about our pets . These people only owned animals never a pet. Maybe this link will help some........
The Rainbow Bridge
Sorry for your famlies friend.

Bummer dude. I read your post earlier and could say that thinking about losing my animal wouldn't be that big a deal. Fast forward an hour and my gf's puppy escaped into the rural neighborhood now that there isn't any snow hindering exploration. While I still don't feel any attachment towards the small thing, it is an extreme downer when she is distraught over losing her "kid". It really is something like that to her, so from seeing her reaction I kind of understand. We are pretty sure that after about a half our of exploring and getting quite cold (Italian Greyhound) if it didn't come back someone must have picked him up. Or a Bald Eagle, field hawk, vulture, crane, or flock of seagulls got to him.

On a side note, I learned another valuable lesson today. When is not a good time to find out you don't have something like a tire-iron to change a tire? Easy to answer. Or dog tags on the dog? Also, should you care about said instances of non-dog taggedness if it is not your dog (this is what bit me)? YES! Because the dog doesn't have tags (only RF tag) it has to wait until Monday for someone to take it to a vet or pound to figure out who's it is. In the mean time I had to wander the "neighborhood" for 3 hours calling a dog that doesn't know it's name yet, and I get to look again tomorrow. Grrr.

jm

Thank you and I hope you find the pup let us know the stutus and I finally slept lastnight I am truly amazed at the impact this had on my family and me more so no tears today so far so good as I said Im sure it will take time here.

Thank you everyone for the kind and understanding words god bless you all and I truly mean that. It makes me feel better and not so alone or like somethings wrong with me for being so emotional about this I guees in a sense its not so abnormal and Im only human.

My last blowout was the Rainbow bridge that was posted but we loved that post and will cherrish that little eye opener that really makes light of the situation we have been put in. Thanks HC for that beautiful post / link it was really cool.

Im going to try to stay busy the next few days since the weather is going to reach into the 70 's here and with time I can smile when I think of that silly dog ;)

Oh jeez so sorry, man. My animals mean SO much to me, too.

Your dog was beautiful, and you helped her with something that she needed help with. Bless you for having the strength to do that. I had to do it for one of our cats recently, and it really knocked me down. I also have a German Shepherd, so I have extra empathy---they are magnificent dogs.

I have been there as well
( twice over the years)..

These indeed are not simple animals..
But loved Pets/Family members that at the drop of a hat will defend to the death the safety of a family member..

You can not buy that type of loyalty ..

You also Never find it easy to lose Any family member..

Over time it gets easier, however it is Never forgotten when one losses a family member..

My first dog ( skipper an Irish Setter ) was put down in 1977..
My 2ed dog ( shadow an Black Labrador ) was put down 2.5 yrs ago..

I still remember and think of both of them..
They both were not just great dogs but family members !!

My condolences for your recent loss..
But you did the right thing..( hard as it was )

Sorry about that .. I have 5 dogs and 3 are getting there. I have had to put down 4 of mine over the years bring them home and give then all a good burial send off.. Saying a prayer and keep the good memories. Hope the Family feels better.. It takes a little time..

Markip

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.