• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

One-Radial Ground Plane vs Dipole

Well,............. that would explain why the real VSWR is about 2:1, plug 100 ohms into your calculator and see what you get.... I wonder what it is when X = 0?.

This is exactly why the myth that "certain coax lengths are needed" is rampant.
I agree more coax or not, there should always be room for a choke. My opinion enough to go higher. And as far as plugging numbers in I dont have the formula in front of me. Haha.

Nice thread and topic. It is a nice little tweak to an antenna system to get a little more gain in one direction than others (if you need that) I often get a little more poke in one direction when mounting an 1/2 wave on the end of a large gate.

It is the only form of directional assistance I have access to. (Though I have not been on the radio for a while, lots of works and bad weather not a good combination for mobile static radio)

I DID IT!!! BOOM!!! Took off the 4 radials and welded 2 as one to make 2 10ft rods. Then cut them down to 9 ft rods, I welded 2, 3" pins to the ring mount and used my wire clips to bite the radials to the pins for adjustments. I set her back up and pointed one radial north the other south. Swr CH 1 is 1.2 Ch 40 is 1.0.
...a lot of work to get two 9' radials when 40' of guy wire & 4 egg insulators would've given you an easy four a week ago. ;) Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, my laptop needed a professional touch-up.
Glad you got it tuned, how's the RFI now?

Is your old 5/8 mobile antenna a 4' or 5', and is it a Wilson Silver Load?

...a lot of work to get two 9' radials when 40' of guy wire & 4 egg insulators would've given you an easy four a week ago. ;) Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, my laptop needed a professional touch-up.

5' firestik II. Probly going to a buddy or on the wife's jeep. And went with the rods the cause the guy lines served no purpose at the height being polydac rope.

also I never pass up an good opportunity to do a little welding. The 102" whip on there now makes a big difference. Pushing out loud and proud at 40miles bare foot.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
If a person were to use mobile antennas as the radials rather than metal rods or wire, which type would be best? Base loaded, mid loaded, or top loaded?

Thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.