• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions on THE best mobile radio for all arround use. PERIOD!

hacksaw

Jan 25, 2009
Hey, I have read several posts of peoples favorite radios. So, I thought Id throw out yet another topic on THE BEST. I run a 1988 President HR 2510, with a Astatic 575 m6 mic. I get great reports on ssb, with or without my TNT 350hd turned on. As a matter of fact, I was heading home this morning about 5 am, and made a local contact about 60 miles away, barefoot. I talked to him all the way home on my 30 mile communite. Anyway, I know this is very good for a mobile application, but I am always looking for something better. Isnt everyone? I talk both on ssb and am, so I am looking for the BEST of both worlds. Thanks for any help, and suggestions.

Shawn

That's good but just about the same power and way more frequencies with the RCI 2970DX or N2
I only need a radio that will cover from arround 26.965 to 27.555 really. Must have ssb and am. fm, cw are never used, echo is not needed really, seldom roger beep, just a supurb rx and tx on ssb and am

Please keep in mind I have a super slick, super nice, super talking HR 2510. But, for me, to talk to my buddies driving back and forth to work, is there a better set up out there? What about the Galaxy DX 94hp? I think that would drive into my THT 350hd well dont you think? Or, just keep what I have and keep talking? I strive to achive the best mobile set up possible.

Please keep in mind I have a super slick, super nice, super talking HR 2510. But, for me, to talk to my buddies driving back and forth to work, is there a better set up out there? What about the Galaxy DX 94hp? I think that would drive into my THT 350hd well dont you think? Or, just keep what I have and keep talking? I strive to achive the best mobile set up possible.

That Galaxy is just too much radio for that amp. It is a 100+ watt radio; and most of the dual 2879 transistor linears cannot handle that much - even if turned down a bunch. No more than 3-40 watt PEP into an amp like that.

Well let us know if you plan on selling your HR-2510 with you Astatic 575 mic.
I had a lot of different radios. IMO my AR-3500 100wt. model with all the extras was the best 10 meter radio and like a idiot i went and sold it back in 92-93. The 2nd best 10 meter radio i had and i do have another one is the RCI-2950 or 2950dx or 2970 and this is JMHO.

out side of what you already have being the best, either one of the RCI 2950Dx or 2970N2. nothing really compairs in versitility, performance,stability on SSB or reliability as the HR.2510 or either of the RCI radios. only thing you maybe would wanna do is add a bigger amp in line, but the set up you have should get you around the world with the right antenna properly tuned conditions permitting on SSB. talking AM with that fine radio might give it a virus or worse.

If your actually looking for something better, why not sample the waters in the Ham Radio field. I recently bought a kenwood TS-480 and it makes one helluva mobile. Surprisingly it works pretty well on AM to. Other then going with a decent quality HF Radio, your probably just as far along to keep what you have.

I have to say that the RCI 6900 f 150 has been a fantastic radio for my Titan. Easy mod to CB, 12 bands, AM, SSB, 6 digit freq and smokin audio. I use mine with an RK56m mic after trying several power mics.

After that I would have to say the 2970 for sure...

ranger 3500
emperior5010
hr2510
hr2600
these are all simply the best however none of these are made anymore
but you do own a 2510 from my list so just get a amp or a bigger amp
if ya want more .

Could you guys specify the Brand Name along with the Model number for us rookies? It sure would save a few of the remaining brain cells I have left.

Thanks

Gene

If you aren't concerned with using your amp anymore, Galaxy DX 95T2 or RCI 2970N2. Heck, might as well include the Magnum Omegaforce S45 HP too. If you do want to use your amp, hard to beat what you got going right now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.