• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions on these previously mentioned 148/Grant mods

Big Kahuna

Jul 31, 2008
I was looking back at some modifications mentioned the forum and was wondering on opinions from those that have tried them. Many were mentioned but there weren't a lot of responses from people who have tried them (unlike our excellent Schottky diode thread).

I've always left Grant's stock for the most part but thought these were interesting.

# 1 Increased modulation all modes

1K series resistor on the middle leg of TR24, and change R124 and R126 to 4.7K

# 2 Motor Mouth HIFI RX Mod

http://www.motormouthmaul.com/linked/cobra 148 rx mod.pdf

# 3 TX HIFI Mod

C46 Change to 2.2uf mylar/polyester film or non-polarized electrolytic

C101 Change to 1.5uf tantalum 16 to 50 volt

C102 Change to a 910pf ceramic disc

C104 Change to 2.2uf tantalum 16 to 50 volt

C108 Change to 1uf to 2.2 uf tantalum 16 to 50 volt

I found that if you have a very deep voice start with 1uf on C108 and work up if need be.

If you need more highs on tx Change C 105 to .001 to .0001uf mylar/polyester film The smaller you go the more highs you get.

Last edited:

I’m by no means a tech or expert, but from my personal experience I wouldn’t recommend doing the mmm high fi rx or any revive mod for that matter, it seriously screwed up the receive on upper and lower sideband on the radio I tried it on.

Reactions: Big Kahuna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned