• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Options for base amplifier

Doodad

May 18, 2008
Income tax returns are just around the corner and I thought I'd treat myself to a new toy. Looking for an ac box that will dk 1k and swing up from there, Someone please help with options. Would prefer something that would be relatively low maintenance, reliable, and parts and pieces readily available. Want to stay away from transistors and sweep tubes. Thinking long term here. Figure this would be a retirement toy that I will pay for while Im still working. Since Im not in the "Gotta be the strongest kid on the block game", I figure this is adequate power that should last a long time. If you had a chance to start over with this criteria, which way would you go???

Dan

DooDad,
If I had the option I just don't think I'd go to quite that extreme. There are just too many complications for something of that size. But if I just had to, I think I'd look at Harris amplifiers. They are commercially made, of proven quality (real quality), and typically up to date as far as parts availability is concerned. There are a number of other manufacturers of such amplifiers,and none of them are built in someone's garage. Expect them not to be 'dirt simple' or 'no-tune', expect to have to twist knobs. Also expect to run a 240 AC line to the shack. Treat them with reasonable care and they will out live you.
- 'Doc

Appreciate the advise. I currently have 220 in the shack and I understand the need for tuning. I dont have issues with that. Want to stay away from the constant " fiddling with it" to keep it operational. New commercial definitely be nice but was wondering if there might be other options out there from reliable and trustworthy builders.

As your not overly bothered with power levels and seem more interested in low maintenance,i'd be looking at something like this:

ACOM 1000 160-6m amplifier

Comes with fcc certification,EU grant of conformity and will be miles cleaner than any cb amp,not to mention a hell of a lot more trouble free than anything any cb builder is gonna build.If your gonna spend big bucks you might as well buy quality.

Just my tuppence worth.

i wouldn't spend $3200 for a 1000w pep amp and would never spend $3200 for an amp to use on the cb band exclusively.

look for around 500w. you can save $2900 buy buying an old sb200. the 1/2 s-unit you lose you can make up with a better antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.