• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

orginal connex 3300

becareless06

Jul 8, 2012
hello i have been searching for some help i recently aquired a connex 3300
that talks great and has been peaked and tuned by who i have no clue i pulled the cover and checked to see what final it has it has the 1969 final
i have this radio on a antron 99 antenna and have had great responses from radio checks around the area . i have a dosy metter and it says it dead keys 1 watt swinging to about 25 and about 13 watts rms dose this seem low or good like it said i cant find much info on them thanks russ.

sounds good ,but if your running that by itself on a base with no amplifier i would turn the deadkey up to 4 watts or 5 watts .that thing is setup for a amplifier.
thats why the low deadkey.

Reactions: 1 person
I've seen the cobra 29 mod with the 1969 final are those numbers realistic on the connex
On hi power thedead key is about 5.5 watts

if its a early connex with separate dual echo controls then yes ,its a single final radio and those numbers would be correct .

sounds good ,but if your running that by itself on a base with no amplifier i would turn the deadkey up to 4 watts or 5 watts .that thing is setup for a amplifier.
thats why the low deadkey.

does it hurt anything to run the radio this way without an amp? if so how?

wont hurt anything to run it that way but for a stand alone radio your better off with a higher deadkey (4-5 watts) you will talk farther .

low deadkey/high swing is a amplifier setup

Yes single final 1969. With dual echo controls ill try runingit with. Higher dead key see if that help get out farther

I have one as a backup for my main mobile in the 18 wheeler. It is a good and reliable radio. If you are getting good reports as is, I'd leave it alone. The difference in output will not be noticeable on the other end. You'd have to have a good amp for the other station(s) to notice a difference. A good antenna helps a lot more.
Just my .02
trucker

Reactions: 1 person
I have one as a backup for my main mobile in the 18 wheeler. It is a good and reliable radio. If you are getting good reports as is, I'd leave it alone. The difference in output will not be noticeable on the other end. You'd have to have a good amp for the other station(s) to notice a difference. A good antenna helps a lot more.
Just my .02
trucker

i agree completely, people get so wound up about watts.

yes im prolly going to leave it be just curious to what can be done . thanks russ
im runing a 2 tube linear with 3 watts drive and 20 watts swing and geting 150 out so im not watt crazy with the radio i leave that to the box lol thanks oh and i use a wilson 5000 trucker antenna with a swr or 1.2 thanks for all the replys russ

I tested mine on a 21-534 Rat Shack meter. My CX-3300 single 1969 final shows a dk of 3 watts low, 8 watts high and a modulation of 29-30 on either hi or low power.

Only mods done on mine that I could find (by someone who had the radio before I did) were both resistors R246 and R249 were clipped (which I have found is supposed to increase modulation) and also I run a 575-M6 power mic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.