• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Original Stryker....Shawn!

sleepwalker said:
Butcher318 said:
From some of the threads I have seen the Mod is the problem. There are a number of people here on this forum though that will never believe that. The truth hurts, just wait and see some of the replys you will now see.
The RX on my Stryker wasn't modded. Aligned by DTB AND Key CB. As many of you know I and apparantly others have the same problem with these radios. RX is poor at best....sorry :oops:

However; Maybe I and several others have defective radios. Shawn offered to replace mine.
It would be interesting to me to know the serial # of the affected radios.
Seems as if I had a lemon. Got a new replacement radio today.Stryker says all mods have been done.

RX is greatly improved. No more excessive noise :D :D

BTW this one has a sticker on the radio and it reads Mosfet Final :?:

Actually Magnum uses a 0.0 Ohm resistor for R35 also. These receiver mods should work the same for their radios.-yup justin, vastly different radios, the stryker & magnum.... :p

Actual it is a surface mount resistor with .0 value. Inside the Stryker radio. Would a jumper work, dunno I am no tech, but I assume it would.

Well after running this radio with the aforementioned receiver mods
I have come to the conclusion that I the radio receiver range has been shortened. The radio is easier to use now but the range has been attenuated. Maybe by 3 S units. Kinda like just tuning the RF gain down.

So the radio has less noise but with less range.

Not real sure what to do at this point.

I still get lots of flowers concerning the crystal clear audio. Gotta love that!!

But this Receiver issue has me thinking.

Others around me receive say at 5 S units and my needle is barley moving.

Seems like to me these mods just turn down the gain.

boomer111 said:
I have come to the conclusion that I the radio receiver range has been shortened. The radio is easier to use now but the range has been attenuated. Maybe by 3 S units. Kinda like just tuning the RF gain down.

So the radio has less noise but with less range.

Not real sure what to do at this point.

I still get lots of flowers concerning the crystal clear audio. Gotta love that!!

But this Receiver issue has me thinking.

Seems like to me these mods just turn down the gain.

So what do you expect it to do ...if its stock it ain't going to swing that much and if it's just straight dead keying mass watts it ain't going to swing much either...and how do you know there meters arn't stengy...this is what equipment is for a nice peek reading meter along with a nice signal gen meter for tuned in receive....

and if you didn't do the mods to it send it back to who ever and have them fix it...:p

i've read boomer's post 10 times.....and still have no idea what lords is talking about.
it sounds like you may have installed something backwards, boomer. i'm not into that stryker mod, so can't really be sure where, but 'something backwards' is my thought(wrong leg of mosfet, incorrect transistor, etc). but then again, i don't use a peak reading meter for any receiver measurements i've ever done. :watusay

boomer111 said:
I have come to the conclusion that I the radio receiver range has been shortened. The radio is easier to use now but the range has been attenuated.

Either Justin did a good job filtering all that excessive noise or made it worse. I'll run mine a few days and get back with the results.

Lords your post has me puzzled. Maybe I didn't explain my problem correctly or I don't understand your post.

I was receiving noise with an incoming audio signal, especially one weaker than say 5 S units ( as read on my Stryker meter). With stronger signals audio was clear with no competing noise. ( this noise level is not from say over modulated radio or from mic turned up to much). The radio already has had Justins Mosfet receiver mod. To this mod I did the work outlined early in this tread.

Yes the radio has less noise with weaker signals, although this problem isn't completely eliminated, with the added mod. But what I feel has happened is that the sensitivity has been cut back a fair amount to accomplish the improvement in the cleaner audio with the weaker signals. By the way I don't consider a 4 or 5 S unit signal weak.

So basically these two new mods ( the R35 and the resistor diode mod) accomplished what I was doing by turning the RF gain down about 5 S units worth.

Both leave the radio with short ears so to speak.

If this doesn't clarify, then well, I don't know what to say.

Also understand that I really want to be happy with this radio.
I think that the audio is top shelf and as stated earlier I get alot of comments on how clear the audio is.

the misunderstanding between lords and boomer111 is just about semantics.
when boomer said that others around him were receiving at 5 S units and his needle was barely moving-
he meant that he was receiving the same signal as the others around him, and while their receivers registered this signal as an S-5, his receiver registered it as an S-1. (or therabouts)

what lords took the statement to mean was that the signal others around boomer were receiving was boomers signal, and that while transmitting, his needle didnt move much at all.

just a simple misunderstanding here folks.
no hard feelings, no name calling, just something that happes once in a while when interpreting things off of a written page.

i wonder if the combination of the MOSFET receive mod, and the other component changes are the reason for the decreased range.

did stryker take the MOSFET mod into consideration when creating this fix?

what im saying is that maybe the component changes dont work as well with a MOSFET modded receiver as they do with a stock one.
just a thought,
loosecannon

boomer111 so far so good for me. This radio is now as quiet as my 140Gtl. Locals hit me with the same carrier and the noise floor is quiet. I want to run it a few more days just to see. I'm thinking with the combonation of what Justin did and the new recieve mod it may have effected the radio. Maybe if you can undo what Justin did maybe it might work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.