• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OTA HDTV antenna????

DRM1983

Jul 12, 2005
ok guys....i got a ton of questions

what will work as an HDTV antenna to RX the FREE "Over The Air" broadcasts???

can i build my own antenna???? if so,is a yagi type possible????

what is the range of the "OTA" broadcast???? 10mi? 20mi? 30mi?

what connectors and coaxial cable is used or perferred specs????

should the antenna be as high as possible????

should some sort of RX amp be used????

any info is appreciated

A good HDTV antenna ought to be able to work just exactly like a good 'regular' TV antenna does. In other words, if you've got a good 'regular' TV antenna is will do just dandy receiving HDTV signals. There's no difference.
Since an HDTV signal is slightly 'denser' than a regular TV signal (I know that doesn't make sense), the better the antenna, the better the signal, the better the picture. A 'gazillion' element antenna, very high in the air, using very low loss feed line, will work better than a pair of rabbit ears ontop of the set (as if you didn't know that, right?). Same difference for HDTV.
- 'Doc

PS - Just like a pair of socks. They'll work just as good in a pair of loafers as a pair of boots (depending on their color, of course).

I use an old VHF/UHF a buddy gave me, works great. RX's on HD digital even better than it did on analog.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.