• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Painting antenna

jlawson435

Dec 21, 2009
I have a Solarcon fiberglass antenna and I want to protect it better. Someone suggested to paint it, Someone told me just go to Lowes and buy some primer and spray it. Will this work ok

I allways use 3M self aniling tape on the joints, but yes- paint the damn thing first so you can handle it without gloves down the road. The coating on it goes to s@&% in UV lite and it is like a bad fiberglass nightmare in no time. I used a PlasticKote cheap rattle can paint from WallyWorld.

fish

For all my outdoor fiberglass stuff i sand it lightly to remove the shards ad then give it a couple coats of marine spar varnish. It can be found in almost any hardware store and is meant to stand up to a marine environment. My fiberglass stuff has lasted years with no degradation so far.

I use green Myself, my antenna is in a tree hiding from My neighbors.LOL I guess it's just shy or something. Something to do with a no external antenna clause in our convenent.:(
My ham stiff is in the attic, and right now the only house it's tearing up is mine.LOL

Reactions: 1 person
yes they say that the color pink radiates RF better and gives you 37% more dB's of gain than other colors.

Stay away from paint with 'metal flake', or other metal contents. Pink is a very good color!
- 'Doc

So I saw on the road today a white truck with a white base(?)/mount(?)(whatever it is called) and was wondering if it was painted or he got it that way. But I have a Wilson Lil Will antenna and am curious if I can paint the base/mount? At present it is black.

You should be able to do that, there are a few things you should be careful with though. I don't think I would paint any insulators, or have paint cross an insulator. Keeping that in mind, almost any non-metallic paint should work just dandy. It -probably- wouldn't hurt to paint those insulators, but why take the chance?
- 'Doc

So I am a complete newb. I am not sure what an isulator is on an antenna?

I am just wanting to paint the black part. THANKS!
wilson-little-wil-lg.jpg

All of that black part is an insulator, so my post didn't explain things very well, did it? If you left an unpainted 'ring' around where the metal part is, I don't think painting it would make any difference. That unpainted 'ring' is just 'in case'. Same for the metal parts if you wanted to paint it too, leave a little unpainted space near the 'insulator' part. Something like 1/8 - 1/4 inch ought'a do just fine. It shouldn't matter at all if the cable was painted.
- 'Doc

(I tried to add a 'painted' copy of your picture, but the program won't let me.)

Ok I think I see what you are saying I will try to do something in photoshop and see if what I represent in the picture is what you are saying. Most likely will only get to it on monday. I have manatory honey dues this weekend. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.