• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 200X

Rooster

Dec 23, 2006
Fruitport, Michigan
Just received a Palomar 200X :D Looks like the HI PWR is only putting out 150 watts RMS, could use new tubs I would guess, but the meter does not work. Does anyone know if the meters can be fixed or should I be finding a place to buy a replacement meter. This little box looks about like new and seems to have nice Mod. I like to have all the gear in my shack looking good and runing right.

Rooster

rooster, I have the same amp and i am getting the same numbers on hi as well as low. well, its 150 pep for me though. I got my tubes checked the other day, one of the 8950's tested good and the other was completely dead. the 12jb6 driver tube I put in there was brand new. so to me, it sounds like you might have a bad/weak tube. the manual that comes with it says it will do 50 rms on lo, and 200 rms on hi.

Palomar 200-X

Hi all,

The meter issue might be resolvable. If the meter is fine, the problem is in the circuit. To know if the circuit is feeding the meter correctly, put a ammeter on the 2 wires that go to the meter, using the mA scale and D.C. current setting. The original meter in these units are of 'edgewise' format type, and were made by EMICO from Dublin Pennsylvania. The scale should be from 0 to 1 mA D.C.

I restored my linear, and it puts out a max of 235 watts when warmed up, when on HIGH. the Low setting only drops the power by 20-30 watts. Note that this is a tube amp, and so the tubes need to warm up completely before they will put out full power. I need to chat for 5-7 mins for the tubes to warm up and push out over 200W. They were in the amp when I got it, and I got it in rough shape. They are date stamped 1973, and the amp is a 1974. She now shines and gleams, came out incredibly clean, and replaced many parts, but not the tubes, nor the power transformer. Old caps are your worst enemy, and make sure your diodes are all okay, especially on the relays, and for the main power capacitors rectification.

Good luck!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.