• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 300a tuning

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
I know this question has been asked and, answered to death. I've read most of the past posts and understand the correct/best way to tune this amp but there's one thing that may have not been addressed. After tuning loading and repeating for max output than turning the load clockwise about a 1/4" (overcouplining) to drop down the wattage apoximently 30%. What I dont understand is the manual says to also tune the knob on the back of the amp to max output for AM use. Now, do I need to tune the knob on the back of the amp for max every time i tune the amp for AM? also if I tune it middle band (channel 20 for me) can I change channels without having to retune the amp or should I repeat the tuning processes when changing channel's? Please don't scold me. I know this question has been asked and answered over and over and over again but, i haven't seen the answer or just don't understand. I've read the manual a dozen times and even it doesn't e xspand on these questions. It's a beautiful amp and want to run it nice and easy. Mine has the 6lf6's and would like them to last as long as possible.

I usually tune my 300a on 19A. When you've hit you max deadkey going back and forth Tune and Load maybe 3 times. Tune the back to max deadkey. Then they say to back down on the load a quarter turn. I do that but when it drops a bit i start AUDIO'in in mic and I adjust the the load up or down for max pep...I then fine tune one more time front only until i find "the sweet spot"...You'll know it when you see it. If you dont find that spot.That's when you start over from step one until you do...I will bounce around channels until i see a drop "it's like a lazy swing" then i will retune. It becomes second nature... Always keep an eye for tubes

Last edited:
Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.