• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 8950 Type Amp "GIMMICK"

Melee401

Oct 15, 2008
I picked up a Palomar 310m and it would not fire up when keyed. I traced the issue to a component listed on the schematic as a "GIMMICK". It has a capacitor marking on the schematic however no value is specified.
Whatever was there is now burned completely away in this amp. I have tied the lines together without it and the 1K resistor did not like that. Not too bad, not like total PUFF but it will need replaced now. It did key up when I did this. What's a one resistor troubleshot worth? ONE RESISTOR and that is cheap enough for me!
If anyone out there has a Palomar 300 Skipper or 310m and can get me the value of this component it would be appreciated.
This component is located hanging off a wire on the bus strip hanging off the inductor coil that the Load-tune capacitors are tied to. It is a 20Ga wire that has about a 30Ga wire wrapped onto it (Or at least in this amp it was) and then the GIMMICK ties these two lines together.
This is the watt meter feed circuit.
All the schematics of Palomar 8950 tube type amps I have viewed just list this component as "GIMMICK".
Any help is appreciated.
Melee

Last edited:

Most of the "Gimmicks" I've seen are simply two small lengths of wire (usually under an inch) twisted together then coated lightly with some sort of contact cement so they stay that way, I'd guess you could probably experiment a bit and find a capacitor that would do the same. You could probably get a good idea by looking at some other RF actuated keying circuits, or just find a simple one and replace the entire keying circuit.

Here is a link briefly describing "gimmick capacitors"

http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/begin/gimmik-0.htm

Oh!!
First I have ever seen one.
TY VM
the larger wire appears to have gotten quite hot and the end of the smaller wire that was wrapped around it must have disintigrated a ways because there was not even one full turn left. What's more the insulation on the larger line appears to have softenedwith the heat and spread down over the end of the conductor a bit.
melee

Last edited:
Most gimmick capacitors are extremely low in value (one or two picofarads is not uncommon) and they are generally cut to order for each unit that requires one (start out with maybe three inches of twisted wire and trim it down so the circuit doesn't break into self-oscillation). As other components age, the value of the gimmick may not be helpful any more.

You probably won't be able to find a discrete capacitor with a value low enough to work.

TY
I found a black ash residue under the GiMMICK so figured that was the thingie to deal with.
What I intend on doing is placing the amp online with the wires wrapped with one or two turns and then increase the number of turns until the unit keys consistently then securing the turns with super glue.
Yes I will be careful, this thing may run on a 13.6V supply however I see the 700V feeding the cathodes.
I worked with solid state for years but this is my first time around with a tube circuit short of just R&Ring tubes and PS filter caps.
Ty all for the input, I'm off to get a 1/2 watt 1K 20% resistor.
melee

Got it!!!!
Took 6 turns to stabilize the circuit and I tossed a few more on for good measure.
Amp is running as well as can be expected considering the alternator output.
That is next on the agenda.
Learned something new!:)
Now I have another avenue to try when stabilizing key circuits in amps with :) :)
Again TY ALL
Lee

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.