• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palstar PS 30 only giving 15 Amps

Simon004

Aug 16, 2009
Lancashire, UK
Hi,

just been given a Palstar PS 30 to repair, I can't find schematics for this anywhere, anybody have, or could point me in the direction of some please?

The PSU will only deliver 15A (should be a 30A peak supply), which equates to my 706 only doing 70W on FM when set to full power. Interesting thing is volts do not drop low when pulling 15 amps (13.2V @ 15A). I've taken the lid off, but there is nothing obvious, my first thought was maybe a pass transistor has gone, but they are buried deep inside the supply so not tested them yet.

Anybody seen this fault before?

Thanks

Did you actually put your 706 on it, turn the power all the way up and only see 70W out?

If not, try it and see what happens. Can you put the 706 on a different/similar PS and get 100 W out?

This Brand X PS may be working more or less normally with nothing actually wrong with it than overrated ratings.

Good luck

Hi WW,

The 706 is fine, it gives 100W on my PSU and the same when in the car. The PSU is a very common one over here, sold under a few different brand names I think, countless people use them and have no problem running a 100W HF rig on them. PSU is this one .... Palstar PS 30

The person I got it from actually has 3 of them, and the other 2 both run 100W rigs fine, he just said he noticed the lights dimming on TX when using this supply. I noticed the spade connector on the +ve DC lead from the bridge rec was corroded, so I pulled it off and the +ve DC terminal on the bridge rec was blue, like it has been getting extremely hot. I've filed the terminal down a little so it was shiny again, and cut off the spade connector from the lead and soldered it directly onto the terminal just to test, but still have the same problem.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.