• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Passed my test!

Congrats,i have been a tech plus since 1993.Never just wanted to upgrade.I have been happy running 28 mhz and 50mhz.I went to the hamfest last Sunday and bought my gen book,im studying now.73s de JW and good luck again

WHy is that ?, budget or what to get ?

Well, budget is, of course, somewhat of a concern, but it's not a huge deal. My dilemma is that I want my first radio to be in my Jeep. I can't decide what type to look at. Here's my thinking thus far:

An HT is super easy to secure but is highly limited on power.

A Mobile is less portable, harder to secure (remember it's a jeep where the top is down quite a lot, and theft is easy given enough time), but it has more power, and if I spend enough has all the bands I need.

I guess my main concern is that I don't know what my power requirements are due to inexperience. Here are the radios I'm currently looking at:

Yaesu FT-817ND It's my number one choice but a bit pricey (actually I'd prefer the 897D, but it's completely out of my price range).

Yaesu VX-8R - It's an excellent radio too, but i'd be concerned about power and it's nearly as expensive as the 817.

Those would be my first two choices but they really are more than I was wanting to spend on my first radio. I was thinking about this as a good starter:

Yaesu FT-2900R - This is more in line with what I wanted to spend to get my feet wet, but it's 2M only, and I don't know how limiting that will be.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.