• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PC68XL questions

loosecannon said:
well,

looks like no one is interested in my inane ramblings. LOL
oh well.

i did the MOSFET mod to the 68xl today, using an NTE2382 and making my own EKL part from the resistors and a diode.

the NTE2382 is the cross ref. for the IRF520, but who knows if its a 510, a 540 or what. you know NTE...

anyway, i did it just like the cbtricks site says to, except i removed the 68pF cap, as it seemed to lower the PEP by a few watts.

without the NPC mod, i was deadkeying 6 watts and swinging about 40 watts. (radio shack PEP meter)

added the 220uF cap, and two 22 ohm resistors in parallel, which gave me a 3 watt deadkey, and swinging to about 35-40 watts.

i am happy!
this little radio kicks some serious butt now!
thanks for the help,
loosecannon

Replacing D9 with another type of diode is not going to help.
From the numbers you posted your radio is set well over 100% modulation.

The mod you are doing is not a NPC mod by the way.

If you are running this radio as a barefoot only station,
you should set the deadkey as high as you can.
Lowering the carrier reduces your range.

I would suggest removing the cap and resistors and replace the jumper by the final.

thanks for the reply librium.

i didnt realize until i did the mod that it was not an NPC.
can an NPC be done to this chassis? it uses the same audio chip as others that can.

the only reason i put the cap and resistor back in is because this radio is used to drive a 2X1446 amp.
when i did the MOSFET mod, i took the swing mod out temporarily so that i could see what effect the mosfet had on its own. (i was really unsure of the NTE part)

it yeilded a deadkey of 5-6 watts, which is just too much for my little KL300p.

i am not a swing freak. i dont care what dance your meter does when i talk. i do want a good audio report, and smile as much as the next guy when someone is impressed with how my radio sounds.

so what about C63?
its a 47uF electrolytic capacitor that connects pin 9 to pin 10 of the TA7222AP audio chip.
what effect would varying its value have?

just trying to learn here.
thanks for any info,
loosecannon

added the 220uF cap, and two 22 ohm resistors in parallel, which gave me a 3 watt deadkey, and swinging to about 35-40 watts.

It don't have to be a perfect world Cannon , that's a good high swing from your lowered DK . (-: IM not sure how much drive your little amp can handle ? 35 to 40 would be alot , if it's concedered a HD amp ? IM sure you would be fine. It may not be a NPC mod but it's still along the lines of one.(cap/resistor) You want loud ? You should be, with what you have done. Usually a stock mic or NC Mic will work very nice with your situation. You also have a Mic gain control on your radio if your to loud. Try it out and get some radio checks , check the heat on your amp , with a good match on your antenna , I think you should sound pretty darn good. Remember what i said , it doesn't have to be a perfect world concerning your stuff , if that would be the case , then you would'nt had to do a damned thing to your radio other then to turn it down to 1 to 3 watts at 100% modulation which would have given you roughly a 4 to 12 watt swing depending on where you would set the DK. sounds like your having fun with your stuff , and that's what matters the most. I call them Swing kit's (cap/resistor) I run AM only and I do about 2DK to 25 watt pep swing into my box (Shoot me !!) Nobodies yet to tell me I sound like shit. (-: ENJOY

Using an amp with that radio, I find it easiest to set the amp DK with a variable on the radio.

It also is nice if the possibility of using another amp in the future exisits.

thanks for the replies guys.

yeah switch kit, i feel the same way you do about swing kits.
its CB radio, and im not looking for a perfect waveform; im looking for a good sounding loud radio for yelling at the truckers on my way home and yacking with the locals all the while. LOL

i see these things as a series of compromises, and i try to make as few as possible.

i may catch hell for this but i actually LIKE the sound of a SLIGHT ammount of distortion in an analog audio signal like CB radio.
i also like the sound of guitars with lots of distortion.

the first time tony iommi plugged that little box into his amp the the overdriven amp sang out, heavy metal was born.
and im sure there were plenty of people saying, "how can you stand to listen to that. the guitar amp is breaking up and sounds like crap!"

to each his own.
my audio reports have been coming back loud as all get go.
thats what i bought this particular radio for, and it is doing it well.

thanks to all who responded to my questions,
loosecannon

DTB Radio said:
I just happen to have one of the original "Tweety Bird" reverb units. Its a spring reverb, same as is found in many guitar amps and mixing boards. email me at the address shown in my signature if you are interested. It won't be cheap, though, those units are getting quite rare.

Thats a nice sounding unit..... reverb tanks are hard to come across up here where I am.
They do sound good though.

M-T , theres' the tech/mod section and many links for what you need already here buddy , there's also the search option. Look and ye shall find.:D Congrat's on your new radio dude. Peace

help

Can someone please help me with a good power mod for this radio,
seems i cannot find anything about it anywhere

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.