• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PC76XL driver and final question

And that would effect the RX too Robb? How do I fix the problem? I am still pretty new to this. Thanks for the help btw!

Sure it affects receive. The same PLL circuit is used for both receive AND transmit.
The PLL is a 'locked loop circuit'; much like a bicycle chain. If just one of the links are open; then the circuit fails to lock in on any one freq. You have a gap in the circuit.

Find why the VCO voltage is so high, and correct it, That - IMO - is the problem. Might be a bad solder joint, or someone hacked the PLL for more channels and screwed it up. Bad VCO chip or PLL even; but most likely a bad connection or a part that is now open and thus keeps that chain open and therefore - unlocked.
Your job, Mr. Phelps if you decide to accept it, is to find that gap . . . It is not 'mission: Impossible' . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: KD2GOE
Ok Robb, I found the gap!! It was C90, a 15Pf cap that fell apart when I pulled one leg to test it. I put a new one in and BAM, everything is up and running! I actually learned a lot just by studying the schematic in the area you guys directed me too. Learning something new every day!! Thanks for sending me on the Impossible Mission... not so impossible after all!! Thanks for your help all!!

Reactions: Robb
Good job man. That's all it takes sometimes, getting pointed in the right direction and having the persistence to keep trying. There are some very knowledgable guys here. And most are nice enough to share things like this. Not that it's rocket science, but you get the point. Glad you got it working and props to Robb for the help!!

Reactions: 1jonnyz

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.