• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Penatrator 500

jc4950

May 16, 2005
NJ Trooper
I got an bought Hygain Penatrator 500 from from a guy the other day on Ebay. The antenna was in good shape, no kinks but some small bends from the wind. The guy forgot to give me the 4 top hat radials. Will it make a difference in SWR or Performance if I run it without them. Thanks in Advance. Joe 2AT054

I would think that it would make -a- difference, but no idea how much of a difference. Why not put a meter on it and see what that looks like? If it wasn't at least 'reasonable', then I think I'd think about finding/making a set of those capacitive hat radials and try that checking again. Any improvement? Go from there.
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc, I forgot to add that the SWR is 1.5 on 27.555 where I usually operate. I did talk to a few locals and gave me some good reports. I did notice a lower noise level on the 500. Much better than the I-max 2000. Almost as good as the 4El quad. Joey

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.