• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PEP mod for Dosy PM1000-TS

pathfinder259

Jan 18, 2007
magee,,mississippi
Does anyone have detailed modification for Dosy PM1000-TS
changing to PEP reading????? This one i have here is one
of the older pm1000-ts, made in Elkhart IND. by Elkhart Enterprises.
I have one of the new pm1000-ts. It looks identical on exterior.
But on inside it is made totaly different.The new type shows almost
twice the swing as the older one..So they have made this one
PEP reading from factory..I have been told, you can install a
cap. to make the older type read PEP?? Any help much appreciated.

According to what I've found after 30 seconds or so on Google, the PM-1000TS reads "peak" power. Not average, not PEP. Some value they arbitrarily call "peak". I can guarantee you that whatever it reads isn't all that close to what a real PEP meter will read.

MFJ does that quite a bit also: they use the bogus term "peak", which doesn't equate to anything. Two such meters, side by side, will likely read disturbingly differently.

In order to indicate PEP, the meter must have some sort of additional circuitry to analyze the signal, condition it and display it. And adding a capacitor or two doesn't quite make it. This additional circuitry has to have either an internal battery or external power from a wallwart or something similar.

Look at the PEP module for the Bird 43. Something akin to that is what you'll need.

Interesting info, Bob.

I notice the "Hi Res" PDC-1 kit description correctly calls it "PEP", but the other one remains stuck on "peak", which can be confusing.

Neither site refers to "RMS power", though, which is a good thing! (y)

The PDC-1 description refers to the "highly accurate Bird 43", which is a bit of lily-gilding, IMO. Many of today's HF wattmeters can equal the Bird's stated maximum error of +/- 5%. "Highly accurate" must equal "expensive".

i don't say rms watts either though i must confess i did at one time, now im just an average guy,
peak sounds still sounds better than "swing kit for your wattmeter" :laugh:

The PDC-1 description refers to the "highly accurate Bird 43", which is a bit of lily-gilding, IMO

The instructions that came with my MFJ's show a line drawing of the meter hooked to a Bird for calibration.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.