• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Physically small and simple VHF/UHF mobile rig required

FearMor

Oct 8, 2013
I am trying to find a physically very small VHF/UHF mobile rig to work in the car. It doesn't have to be very powerful but I want one easy to use simplex and by repeaters without complex menus. I am a simple man and I want a simple to use rig. Yes, there are some older rigs available on the market which are not menu driven but many are large and lack the CTCSS facility to access modern repeaters.

I thought my dreams had come true when I bought the Leixen VV-808 but when I took it home, I discovered I needed a degree in computer programming to use it. It is therefore sitting on a shelf in the shack unused!

If any member of this forum knows of a rig which meets my requirements, please let me know the make and model and where it's available preferably in the UK.

The Yaesu FT-90 is a very compact dual band mobile. It's so small they couldn't find room for buttons so it is menu driven. I don't know of anything smaller. You might try the Yaesu FT-10. It was designed for motorcycles so is also kind of small. I'm not sure but it probably has menus too.
The old Yaesu FT-5100/5200 was pretty compact.
I think you're asking a lot for something small (generally newer) and not having menus (generally older gear.)
Good luck.

The Yaesu FT-90 is a very compact dual band mobile. It's so small they couldn't find room for buttons so it is menu driven. I don't know of anything smaller. You might try the Yaesu FT-10. It was designed for motorcycles so is also kind of small. I'm not sure but it probably has menus too.
The old Yaesu FT-5100/5200 was pretty compact.
I think you're asking a lot for something small (generally newer) and not having menus (generally older gear.)
Good luck.

I agree. Tiny size=new product, new product=menu driven software. Take your pick. Menus are not that bad as 90% of the stuff is a one time set up. Everything can be programed into memories and if you use programing software it is super easy. If you can type you can program the radio.

Most radios after programing are not to hard to use. Is it possible to have someone set it up for you. Some of the programing software isn,t to bad if you spend a little time with it' and maby you can get a little help. You may also find some of the answered you need here.

Most all of the current production vhf/uhf radios have the ability to be programmed by a computer with the proper software and patch cable,it is as easy as entering the frequency,pl tone ,power output .....To me personally the software is worth getting.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.