• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PL-259 Solder Technique, Chicago Style

That is cool!! I think that I am going to start doing my connectors that way instead of trying to solder through the little holes in the body of the connector.(y)

It's nice to have a large tip soldering iron for these jobs, thermal mass = less time for heat build up thus deforming the dielectric separator.

Mack has an VERY good point here,many times we find that it seems we need MORE heat, when all you need is more mass......I have seen guys try to install PL 259`s with a 200 watt gun.....and make a friggin mess of the cable.
A couple of good Manufacture`s are American Beauty and Weller soldering irons, then you need to choose one with enough mass that when placed against a cold connector it will heat it quickly, with out going cold and having to sit on the connector while waiting for the tip and your work to heat back up again as the center insulation turns to mush.
Mass is the key to fast heat transfer, you want to heat it quickly, get a good solder joint and cool it quickly....you can not do that with a small tip that can not hold enough heat to do the job properly.
The Weller SP80 or SP 120 both work good with a MTG size 30 chisel tip, The American Beauty 150 watt with a 3/8 chisel tip work`s awesome, this iron weighs almost 2 lbs, and will bring the connectors up to temp fast, allowing you to make good connections with out melting everything into a mess.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.