• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

pl-259

startrek64

Jan 8, 2012
What is better a solder on pl-259 or crimped pl-259? And where do you get them from online. I have lmr-400 now and would like to make jumpers for my cb setup out of maybe lmr-195 or lmr-240.. what size would work best for them....Thanks

For jumpers, there's nothing at all wrong with good quality RG-8X. LYesh gave you good links. You'll notice that they don't list any of the LMR-types of coax. You have to use the nominal coax outside diameter and get the connector that matches (for example, LMR-400 is right about 0.405" OD, just the same as RG-213.) A caution here: sometimes the center conductor is a bit too big. If it's stranded, no problem - just clip off one or two strands. If it's solid (like LMR-400) you can't scrape the copper off the aluminum conductor and then solder it; you'd have to crimp.

I'm from the old school in that I've soldered every RF connector I've ever installed for the past 50+ years. The first few really stank, but as I got practice, with the proper soldering tools, I haven't had a reject since.

I'm from the old school in that I've soldered every RF connector I've ever installed for the past 50+ years. The first few really stank, but as I got practice, with the proper soldering tools, I haven't had a reject since.

Same with me but then I stopped buying the cheap plastic insulator types and went with Teflon instead. No more stinking connectors after that. No more smoke either. :D

Generally speaking, it depends on the size of cable as to what type of connector I use. For RG-8X (.240 dia) I tend to use crimp on connectors. For RG-8 (.405 dia) I normally use solder on.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.