• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PL259 quick disconnects

KC2OST

BANNED
Mar 4, 2007
i have a antenna on a balcony..
cant drill a hole to run antenna wire out to it..
DEFINATELY CANT LEAVE SLIDING GLASS DOORS UNLOCKED WHEN IM NOT HOME!

what i want to do is find some kind of quick disconnect to hook to one
end of my coax that i can unplug from the base radio..

it would have to have a female side that can screw on and a male
side that i can slide on/off the radios SO239 connector..

anyone use one or know where to get em?

why not just disconnect the coax from the antenna when not in use ? put the cut off 259 from a bad peice of coax to put on it when not in use to protect it from weather/dirt and dust . ive seen guys drill holes in floors and closet ceilings to run the cable out through eaves/soffitt vents and foundation vents .

Just something to think about...
Any 'push on/pull off' connector means wear on both the plug and jack. That push-on connector will cause wear (used one for a long time), and you will have to contend with that wear. I finally quit using the ones I had. Takes a few seconds longer to disconnect, but I didn't have to contend with a worn SO-239 either. Be careful handling them too. They do deform sort of easily.
They DO work. If it fills your need, use it. Just be careful.
- 'Doc

Doesn't MFJ make a window mount kit where you can run several feedlines to,i know i'v seen it but cant find it now? KC2OST if i can find the model number i will post it unless someone can help...... anyhow this might also be something you could look into.

Doesn't MFJ make a window mount kit where you can run several feedlines to,i know i'v seen it but cant find it now? KC2OST if i can find the model number i will post it unless someone can help...... anyhow this might also be something you could look into.

I didn't know MFJ made them.John from Quick Silver Radio has been making these and selling them on the Northeast hamfest circuit for years.I have used the PaneRelief from Quick Silver with no complaints.
http://www.qsradio.com/Mounts.htm

Carmen

thanks for the help and ideas guys :)

i have a sliding glass door leading to my balcony..
so the window kit wont work for what i need..

i am going to ask the super if i can make a hole or modify the door
in a way to allow the coax to run inside
(doubt he is going to let me do this)

i plan on hooking the radio with a small jumper to a tvi filter and then
use the quick disconnect to feed my antenna..
this way when i booger up the SO239 on the filter, i can easily replace it.

i usually do all my talking/listening in my mobile..
but from time to time when i have off from work i like to listen to the soothing sounds of channel 19 :cool:

my buddy built me a pretty cool mount for my A99 antenna!
its a 2ft x 2ft piece of steel about 1/2 inch thick with a 4 ft
solid steel 1" and 1/8 thick riser.
that A99 isnt going anywhere :)

i still have to place the order for the disconnect..
im sure they have a minimum for ordering..
been busy/lazy lately, so i havent checked their catalog yet..

If you have a baseboard near the sides of that sliding door, and if you would consider replacing that baseboard if/when you move, you might consider drilling a small hole through the wall for the coax. Seal it.

Of course, I'd never tell you to do such a despicable thing!
- 'Doc

If you have a baseboard near the sides of that sliding door, and if you would consider replacing that baseboard if/when you move, you might consider drilling a small hole through the wall for the coax. Seal it.

Of course, I'd never tell you to do such a despicable thing!
- 'Doc

bought the connectors from kollman radio..
they got here so fast my head was spinning!

got 1 for my bench and the other for my base
(which i still have yet to modify/test/repair)

its an no go on zipping a hole..
looking at drilling through 6"!

on both sides of the door is about 2" wide of molding..
bottom of the door i cant mess with..

i have to look at it again, but the right side of the door looks like it
can be taken out.. maybe i can notch it or something, lay wire and replace..

we have the super and the resident manager..
both are cool guys.. i was given funny looks about the antenna but
nobody has said a word or questioned me..

i dont mind the minor inconvienience of unplugging the coax and throwing
it out on the balcony..

we will see what happens.. thanks for the help..

You might also give thought to the use of a 'bulk-head' connector as suggested earlier (I think?). All kinds of places they could be sort of 'fitted in'. Windows are usually easier to 'do' than a sliding door, but sliding doors aren't impossible.
And if you really get desperate, you could always 'draw' the antenna on the glass of that sliding door. "Draw", as in using some kind of conducting thingy, metal tape, burglar-alarm tape for instance. Loading the thing might be interesting, but still 'do-able'. (I did say desperate! :)). Good luck.
- 'Doc

One potentially serious problem with "quick disconnect" connectors is the users' tendency, since he doesn't have to unscrew the ring, to just pull on the cable.

Just like the safety advisories packed with most electrical equipment says, "pull on the plug, not on the cord". I've seen far too many cables with the PL-259s pulled right off because the owner was in too big a hurry to do it right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.