• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Planning on getting my 'ticket', what used radio should I be looking for?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Planning on getting my 'ticket', what used radio should I be looking for?

I'd like something that is all in one. Mainly looking for something that is a little older and that is not a complete mess to keep it on the air. I am open to ideas.

Thank you.

If you are only going for the tech endorsement then I'd recommend a Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom because with these you can enjoy your 10 mtr. phone priviledges. FT-101's and their variants can be acquired in the $200>$300 range, are stable on SSB and you can get all the freq.'s except for 2m and 6m and 70cm which you'll need a general endorsement for anyway.
Kenwoods and Icoms are just a bit more pricey. At first I used an RCI-2950 but I had to adjust the clarifier everytime I had a QSO. Those imports seem to all need an alignment after they're purchased.

3's

If you are only going for the tech endorsement then I'd recommend a Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom because with these you can enjoy your 10 mtr. phone priviledges. FT-101's and their variants can be acquired in the $200>$300 range, are stable on SSB and you can get all the freq.'s except for 2m and 6m and 70cm which you'll need a general endorsement for anyway.
Kenwoods and Icoms are just a bit more pricey. At first I used an RCI-2950 but I had to adjust the clarifier everytime I had a QSO. Those imports seem to all need an alignment after they're purchased.

3's

Since when do you need a general ticket for 2M 6M and 70CM:confused:

Not a guru, but I advise staying away from boat anchors unless you are technically minded and enjoy working on the old rigs from time to time.

Plenty of new 2 meter rigs in the $150 range, dualbands new for $300. New HF's like the Icom 718 and Alinco dx 8 are $550- $750 range. Used radios on EBAY are a risk but deals can be had, perhaps a Kenwood TS 2000 would be a good choice used. Depends on your budget.

Edit, you did say used, I mentioned some new ones with warranties. I like inexpensive new radios for starting out. I dont want someone else's nightmare. You can join a local ham club and buy used in person. Hams are always selling, trading and upgrading. Seems the Kenwood TS 2000 in good shape might be a serious consideration.

Last edited:
FX: Get busy and keep reading look right pass the Tech class...You want your General...So when you go for the test session...you'll take both tests. The info for General is mostly the extra rules and regs....Why? Because you get All the Bands...Ok enuf said...Good Luck

Now to the question on rigs:
A little story here if you please....You've studied your butt off and you passed the General....played the waiting game and now you have your ticket...
You have bought a nice ICOM 706 maybe a KWD TS-2000 ($1K nice used one)...FT-100D... etc....The do-it All rig...Antennas up and going...Your "In the Air"
IT FREAKING DIES....off to the warranty center....Your Totally off the air...nada...nothing! End of story!

How about Nice used rig for HF rig bought from a Dealer/a fellow Ham you know or can see good feedback on Qrz/QTH...FT-450at/TS-450sat...($5-600)
Then a cheap Dual band HT...NEW for $150 with all the bells and accs...
This won't be your last rig!...Find where your interests take you...
Don't buy a do everything then skirt the Antennas...
That's where your signal counts!....You don't need towers and beams! Long as you have a few Trees and a few poles....but that's where the "real effort" makes a big difference...
We are here to help!
GL OM
All the Best
BJ

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think I would agree with almost all of what's been said so far. Do the studying and get the General, why settle for less? I'd also say get the Extra but it isn't all that -necessary-, just nice to have, then you'd have it all.

'Thirsty' makes a very good point, look at the used stuff for economy's sake, but definitely look at the new stuff too! An 'everything in one box' radio is not going to be cheap, no way around that. And unless you like working on stuff, that warranty is a very, very nice thingy to have. (If them old 'boat-anchors' were all that 'good', they'd still be in production. There's a good reason why they aren't.)
Your interests will change over time, or as you become more familiar with the opportunities available, modes, bands, etc. So the 'first' one is seldom the last radio you'll ever have.
Good luck with it!
- 'Doc

re

better off to buy new. unless you know the person very well
don't buy someone else s headache

I think I would agree with almost all of what's been said so far. Do the studying and get the General, why settle for less? Good luck with it!
- 'Doc

I agree also.. I started just doing the tech part myself and then looked at the general part and it isnt harder just a few more questions....

For VHF get a dual bander you will regret not doing so.. I know first hand and now looking for one..

For HF there are so many choices out there, it is a sickening desease worst then eye candy. If you know a few Hams see what they run sit at that rig and how YOU like it.. Many swear by there brands but you may not like it. As some have said IF you have the cabbage GO NEW with warranty.. There are some good USED starter rigs out there like a Kenwood TS-430/440 Yaesu 757/767 even the 101 series. and Icom has few.. Again you can ask a million questions read this or that, Bottom line it is what appeals to YOU for your first rig.......

BEWARE of FLEEBAY sales... Yes there are some good ones... most of them will offer a 3-7 day return warranty...\

EDIT: stay AWAY from Estate sale untested <------------ yeh right you dont test a radio LMAO

73's and good luck

Reactions: 1 person
Go for the general test as well when you take the Tech...chances are good you will end up with a general class ticket !!

I also agree over all with what has been said concerning your radio.
The DC to daylight rigs as I call them ( Icom 706 mk2 Kenwood 2000 ,Yeasu 897 857 ) are nice radios to say the least,but as mentioned if for some reason it dies,you are without a radio till repairs are done.If your pocket will let you go with a solid state radio,very easy to operate and a digital readout for the vfo.

Might be a good idea to get a HF and 6 meter rig and have 2 meters and 440 rig seperate...Could save a headache down the road.That is what I have done and I am glad I did,was worth the time .

Personally I would stay clear of ebay,it is just to easy to get screwed over.Spend a bit of time and search out your local area for a radio that you can put hands on if you are going used ( this is the route I took to get my first HF radio and it was worth the time)

VHF / UHF radio are fairly cheap new,a single bander ( 2 meter ) can be found for 150 to 170 +/- new!! Example...Yeasu ft 2900 about 160$ out of the box..and a nice little rig,I have one and love it !!

Get teh 2 meter radio and get to know a few locals in your area...then start the search for a HF rig from the locals,chances are alot better you will get a good quality radio and you can put hands on it before you shell out the cash

And last but not least...as mentioned above dont skimp on the antenna...I am sure folks here can get you pointed towards a good antenna to buy...or better yet...make one !! A 2 meter jpole can be made for under 20$ and it really will surprise you just how well it works

And good luck on the test!!

When I started in photography in high school...my teacher told me to get a pentax k1000 because it was a totally manual camera.....I will give you the same advice in radios....find a nice yaesu ft-101....learn on an old school boat anchor. :)

When I started in photography in high school...my teacher told me to get a pentax k1000 because it was a totally manual camera.....I will give you the same advice in radios....find a nice yaesu ft-101....learn on an old school boat anchor. :)
many many points of genuine good advice !

the antenna system posts are right on target, neglect the antenna sys , make very few contacts
and a old "boat anchor" is a good investment , if its in correct operational condition ,and was a popular unit in its day ( many parts available ) as one can gather the feel of having to work a contact
along with basic maintenance of keeping thing in tune .

similar to building a motorcycle, once ya build it , should it break down you'll be able to diagnose the issue !
anyone can go buy a shinny new one off the shelf !
!but it all depends on what your looking for in the hobby

depends on your wallet

there are still a few new, never sold MK II G's around, a used one is cheap. not the best RX in the world, but, the price can be low.

personally, I would take a long look at an IC 7K

My advice for new hams looking at used gear is to look at gear that is only one generation old or newer. The problem with gear that is more than one generation old is that parts may not be available and the factory may no longer service it. If you find something older that is really inexpensive and working really well, go for it but realize that it may turn out to be a disposable purchase if something goes wrong.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.