• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Planning on getting my 'ticket', what used radio should I be looking for?

You will still have to pass the Tech test before the General. You can take both tests
at the same time. (if you pass the tech first that is). The Alinco DX-SR8T is not a bad
radio. But, is very basic. For not much more money you can get an ICOM 718 that is much better. You can get your money back on the 718 a bit easier than the SR8T.
I have seen them both for sale on other websites (used) and the 718 will go much
quicker.
trucker

You will still have to pass the Tech test before the General. You can take both tests
at the same time. (if you pass the tech first that is).

I am aware of that, I am scoring between 91 and 100% on all the tech sample tests, so no worries... just need to study up for the general. that will be a little more fun :)

Universal Radio has a used 718 for sale. They give you a 60 day warranty.

I bought one of the Alinco SR8's when they first came out. It's an OK rig, but I didn't like the tuning step options so off it went. Universal sells the Alinco for $519 new. Still, I would rather have an Alinco over the ICOM 718. The ICOM has fixed AGC which causes listening fatigue. There is a mod for that issue though. The Alinco has built in filters that are decent enough. The 718 requires optional filters, $$$.

Yes, the newer 718's come with DSP, but it's AF and nothing to brag about.

Just take your time so you don't end up with a POS.

I doubt you'll find many tight assed hams willing to part with an all mode multiband rig for your price range, unless it's all beat up or has issues.

... This won't help with your decision on what to get, but do you really know of anyone who has only had just one radio? That 'first' one is just that, the first. Unless you are just luckier than anyone has a right to be, it won't be the only radio you'll have.
- 'Doc

ok So here are my choices ATM:

Alinco SR8T - NEW for $530

Icom 718D w/ UT-106, 30 day warranty - USED $530

Icom IC-706MKII (the original, not the G) Is fully working and in very clean shape, owner is willing to put it in writing that it's fully functional - USED $550 shipped

Yaesu FT-100D, looks like new, local owner - He is asking $600, might be able to work the price down a bit(or a lot)

Kenwood TS-680S, local, USED, 30 day warranty, $480

maybe keep looking for a Kenwood TS-430?

Stay away from the FT-100 unless it's a 'D' and the serial number begins with 2 or 3, designating 2002, or 2003 production date, or even a late 1 series if you make sure the letter is at least H(June) so 1Hxx through any 3xxx series.

I stopped off with a pocket full of cash at a dealer and played with the 718 for hours but didn't fall in love, I didn't like the receiver at all. Seemed deaf and had grainy sounding audio.

Can't beat Kenwood audio. That 680 isn't bad, and later when you upgrade your HF radio you can keep the 680 for 6 meters.

I'm burnt out on most rigs and I've had over 100.

I still like the Kenwood TS-530S or the Yaesu FT-890.

For the money, aesthetics, features, ease of use, simplicity, stability and sensible layout, along with a nice analog meter and terrific audio on both SSB & AM - TX & RX, the YAESU FT-890 has my vote, plus it includes an auto tuner.

ft890L.jpg

The FT-990 is the bigger, more expensive brother to the FT-890 but a fantastic value in it's own right.

ft990.jpg

Still, in a larger older rig with tube output and for audio purity, punch, good looks and a wonderful receiver, the Kenwood TS-530S is also an unbeatable value. (y)

ts5303.JPG

Then there's the other 500 rigs out there complete with various aspects of frustrating performance. :sad:

Ended up going with a Yeasu FT-890 with internal Autotuner and upgraded CW/SSB filters, manual, PC interface cable and mic, now I will just need to get a HT and I will be good to go

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.