• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Please help!!! pyramid ps-52k and ps-52kx problems

triple9inga

Backwoods of Lagrange Ga
Nov 19, 2010
lagrange ga
ok guys really didnt know where to post this but maybe here will work , i got a ps52k and ps-52kx power supplies . they both seem to have the same problems i plug them up , turn them on and i get a short buzz or hum and then nothing . i just bought both of them . guy told me his house breakers wasnt big enough to run them . boy was i stupid or what . the lighted power switch stays lit but no volts or any thing . anybody got any ideas on what it could be and maybe how much to fix ? i bought them to run my mobile amp in the house . thanks triple 9

I looked up the ps52k on google and it looks like it has both voltage and current meters on the front. When you say "no volts or any thing" I'm assuming this means the meters don't move. (If that's _not_ what you meant, then please elaborate.)

I had a Pyramid power supply a long time ago. It was a 20 amp model (different from yours), but I somehow managed to pop one of the diodes in the bridge rectifier. Luckily Radio Shack sold replacements at the time, it was an easy fix. I didn't have any trouble with it after that.

I figure the likely culprit in your case is either a blown rectifier or a bad voltage regulator IC. Still, with the blown rectifier I would expect the fuse on the input to blow as well.

The "short buzz or hum" you describe is not necessarily abnormal (unless it's very loud and is followed shortly by a fuse blowing). When the supply has been sitting un-powered for a long time, the filter capacitors will be discharged. Once you flip the power on, they will look like a very low resistance load on the secondary winding of the transformer until they charge up, which takes a split second. During that very brief period, the transformer is heavy load, which can cause the hum that you hear. This is called in-rush current. Some power supplies are designed with a time-delayed relay that keeps a resistor in series with the primary winding of the transformer for a few seconds after you first turn on the AC power in order to limit this in-rush current and avoid putting strain on the transformer. (I think this is more of an issue with high voltage power supplies, where the windings are made of thinner wire.)

Are you sure you didn't overlook something obvious? Did you attach a test load to one of them (like an old 12 volt radio you don't care about) and set the voltage control knob correctly? It seems strange to me that both power supplies would be dead.

-Bill

Ive fixed a few 52ks with that very issue. It is one of the 25 amp rectifiers. Replace both with 35 amp units.

this might sound obvious, but take it to a different room and plug it in, see if things change,, what are the chances of 2 power supplies being bad?
My ps-52kx makes a momentarey buzz when i turn it on. check continuity at your breaker on the back left corner, maybe its bad. or perhaps its popped out?.

thanks for the info . it was both rectifiers in both . picked some up from rad shack and fixed the problem. any body know if u can turn the volts up on the inside of them . if so how? thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.