• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Poll: Which brand is best at SSB?

Which brand is best at SSB?

• Cobra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galaxy

• Superstar

• Total voters

what no listing for kenwood?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

if you insist on a "glorified CB" get a RCI or an uniden president <HR2600>

personallly after owning a few HF rigs <kenwood TS-930S and a TS-520........yaesu FT-747GX and a FT-101EE and a siltronix 1011C> ill never go back

scott

uniden is the bst as far as cb goes. kenwoods are unbelievable on sideband, you can really zero in on someone and they sound lifelike.

For the life of me, I can't see why 5 people would vote for a Superstar or a Ranger. Why am I amazed that people still don't get it?!

For the record, I have a Cobra 2000 and a Phillipines 148, but the boards are made by Uniden, hence the vote.

dway87 said:
Is the Texas Ranger TR-696F a good radio?

theyre not too bad for what they are.....

i have one in the big truck....i refuse to run high dollar radios in the
big truck

i never use it for SSB tho stays on 19AM

the guy i got it from used it as a side band radio tho and he had seemed pretty pleased with it...........its got the upper and lower channels installed

i have a yaesu FT-747GX here thats just taking up space on my desk..............i dont have a power supply big enought to run it...............while i wasnt ACTIVLY trying to sell it i could let it go at a decent price............

whats your buget??

scott

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture009.jpg

[/img]

Lazybones1222 said:
You don't think a properly set up RCI 2950 is a good SSB radio?
Sure, but the question was, "Which brand is best at SSB?" Of course, he asked a second question that almosts negates the first one and he didn't specify MFG until he listed the radios, which only consisted of CB and export radios.

I had a 2950 years ago. Bill Good helped redesign the horrible 2900 from RCI and the results of that endeavor was the 2950. Still, RCI didn't go far enough with the receiver per Bill Good.

The dual conversion receiver in the Grant XL/148/2000 was and still is superior to the RCI!

Even though ham radios were not included in the list, the worse ham radio is probably better than the best CB. If someone is looking for performance on SSB, get a ham radio! On the upside, you can use any off the shelf amplifier to get more output.

As far as the POLL question goes however, there is only ONE answer that is correct. This does not mean that RCI is bad, but there can be oly ONE "best" from that list. When talking radios, its ALL about the receivers! This is why the ham radio companies put so much effort into the DSP, filters, and roofing filters!

If the poll question said something about "features", using the same list, then my answer would have been different. But, for "BEST" SSB performance, it is and always will be, the Uniden chassis.

The question was put in the cb radio section (not export 10 meter or any other Ham radio) even though I know the other types will work maybe even better.
))))))))The dual conversion receiver in the Grant XL/148/2000 was and still is superior to the RCI! ((((((( even though they don't make these radios anymore (but still easily gotten CB radios) there are still some decent AM/SSB cb radios out there , even the not built as well 148GTL's can be modded to work good enough. (Some folks are not as cridical as others) Texas Ranger / Galaxy put out a couple of decent AM/SSB CB's as well . Unfortunatley Uniden stopped making a SSB radio 5 or so years ago in a CB radio type style. Maybe someday they will come out with a new one ?

I own or have owned many of the rigs being discussed here and have operated all of them.

Hands down, the 148/2000 are the best CB rigs of the bunch. The old 'President' SSB CBs - of late 70's/early 80's manufacture - used the same board as the 148 and are also a good choice.

The RCI- series of radios have two things going for them, and that's coverage plus the ability to transceive FM. Their receivers leave a LOT to be desired - an R7 or Orion II they aren't. My TS130S will outperform any of them on 10 or 12M, and that rig is among the most basic available...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.