• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Microphone - Radio Key Up, Audio Delay Issue

cbradiomagazine.com

2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana
Jan 3, 2007
Export Radio w/ Power Microphone - Radio Key Up, Audio Delay Issue

This is something I thought I'd mention since it's come up a couple of times in emails I've received lately.

With some radios when adding a power microphone you might encounter the following issue.

"You key up the radio and everything works normally but when you begin talking sometimes there is a 1 second or so delay before your radio starts picking up the audio."

This can be annoying as the first word or letter of many sentences will get cut off.

I've run into this issues specifically on the 2950DX and the CRE 8900 when running astatic power microphones.

The fix is to place a resistor from the audio to the ground and it can be done inside the microphone or inside the radio. I ran into this problem a while back and eventually found a great thread online explaining that a 1k resistor from the ground to the audio would solve the problem and indeed it did.

I've included a picture of the road devil I wired for the cre 8900 and the resistor I installed in that microphone to solve the issue. I would recommend using some shrink tube on the resistor just in case to prevent issues since space is limited in many mics.

This solved the key up audio delay issue with the RD/CRE 8900 combo and I haven't had any issues since.

It's a rare problem to encounter but I figured at least I'd post up the info.

66632212.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks! I got a Road Devil on the way with a six pin RCI style mic plug. I'm thinking about getting the 636L replacement case and use it instead of the red case it comes in. Now if I can remember which site that sells it.
CRE-8900 stock mic update: the mic's doing Better today in not unkeying. I found a CRE-8900 schematic and posted it on your CRE-8900 thread. Still planning on powering the RD with radio power.

Last edited:
Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread. I have the same problem with the Road Devil mic on my CRE 8900 and also did with my astatic 636l. It might am astatic thing. My Road King 56 didn't have the problem. I wonder how an RF Limited 577 would perform on the CRE? I almost won an astatic 575 on eBay last week and someone got it for $1 more than my max bid at the last second.

By the way. Thanks cbradiomagazine for the write up. I think I have some 1k ohm resistors. I may be doing this fix when I get home at 3am. Lol. That little delay drives me nuts.

I just had a closer look at the picture and it looks like I used a 670 instead of a 1k, probably just what I grabbed out of my box o' resistors at the time.

So,when wiring up a mic to the CRE-8900,I'm figuring to leave the RX wire from the mic disconnected,that the 8900 doesn't need this connection for receive. Just solder up the audio,TX,shield/gnd on pins 1,3,5

This is something I thought I'd mention since it's come up a couple of times in emails I've received lately.

With some radios when adding a power microphone you might encounter the following issue.

"You key up the radio and everything works normally but when you begin talking sometimes there is a 1 second or so delay before your radio starts picking up the audio."

This can be annoying as the first word or letter of many sentences will get cut off.

I've run into this issues specifically on the 2950DX and the CRE 8900 when running astatic power microphones.

The fix is to place a resistor from the audio to the ground and it can be done inside the microphone or inside the radio. I ran into this problem a while back and eventually found a great thread online explaining that a 1k resistor from the ground to the audio would solve the problem and indeed it did.

I've included a picture of the road devil I wired for the cre 8900 and the resistor I installed in that microphone to solve the issue. I would recommend using some shrink tube on the resistor just in case to prevent issues since space is limited in many mics.

This solved the key up audio delay issue with the RD/CRE 8900 combo and I haven't had any issues since.

It's a rare problem to encounter but I figured at least I'd post up the info.

66632212.jpg
I got my RD apart fixing to install a 1K ohm resistor like your picture shows however,the black(RX) wire won't be used. I'm assuming that the resistor will complete the circuit through the RD's circuit board. Any wisdom here would be much appreciated

I'm going to disconnect the black mic cord wire from the RD circuit board and solder the black's other end to the 13.8 volt (6) mic plug terminal and wire up the voltage regulator volt in to the mic end black wire.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.