• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supply. Please advise!!!

Lots of 'wiggle room' in that one. A nice round figure would be something like 35 - 40 amps, and more certainly won't hurt. When shopping, look for the 'CCS' rating, not the normally advertised 'ICS' rating. That ICS rating is for 'surges', not continuous draw rates. A typical power supply advertised as a 40 amp supply means that it's only going to supply something like 25 - 30 amps continuously, that 40 amps is only during very brief surges. The more 'extra' amps you have the better off you are and the less that power supply has to strain.
- 'Doc

116sd019,
I wouldn't bet too much on it, but it's at least possible. I also wouldn't bet much on how long their life span was either. And then, it just depends on how you do the measuring, right? If you can believe the millage figures on the windows of new cars, 150 watts per 2SC2879 isn't going to choke you too bad.
- 'Doc

will that work as a quite power supply in the shack? I'm just not familiar with them. Anyone use one? I might get one myself as I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now but the cost has been keeping me from getting one.

I'll just add one thing to this thread:

Ohm's law will help you figure out how much power supply you need: 300 watts / 13.8 volts / 50% efficiency (that's a swag, and you're lucky if you get that) = 43.4 amps.

will that work as a quite power supply in the shack? I'm just not familiar with them. Anyone use one? I might get one myself as I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now but the cost has been keeping me from getting one.

I haven't used that brand of power supply, but I keep hearing good things about them. My Tripplite power supply has been a rock, and I also use a Pyramid supply that has never given me a problem. Pyramid supplies got some negative press, but I've never had a problem with them. If you're interested in them, PM me for a source with very reasonable prices.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.