• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K 17 inch shaft whip length

dt1561

Apr 15, 2005
I just replaced my whip that was lost going down the hiway and I do not remember what I had cut the whip at,I am sure I could start nibbling but ballpark would cut some time consuming nibbling,,,,,,,Thanks J,BTW The setscrew had loosened just enough for the whip to go flyin,,,,LOOKOUT BEHIND

It will vary by the size of the vehicle, how it's mounted and where it's mounted. The best thing to do is start nibbling. If swr is higher on 40 than 1 make it shorter. If higher on 1 than 40 make it longer. Do that until it is even on 1 and 40. At that point the lowest swr will be at the center of the band...ch19.

No way to tell! Too many variables. Just like 543 said, start nibbling!! Just take small increments off, like 1/8"-1/4" cuts max. JMHO.

Agree with the others. Another thing to take into consideration, is you didn't say which Predator 10K you have. There's several different versions of the 10K with 17" shafts...

Best deal would be just to do the nibbling and don't get carried away...Hard to stick those nibbles back on once removed!

Reactions: psycho and 222DBFL
I'd start out with a brand new Wilson 1000 whip (62") and take a reading of swr on channel 1 & 40, but it's bound to be very high so make it a SHORT KEYDOWN!

Remove an inch per nibble until you see under 3:1 on ch.1, then slow your nibble to 1/2" per, until you're close to flat on ch.1, then 1/4" per - until you have it where you want it, usually 1.2:1 or 1.3:1, balanced on both ch.1 & ch.40

My rough estimate of an inspired approximate ballpark guess is somewhere close to 52" exposed, since they claim it to be about 78" total, minus the 17" bottom shaft = 61" minus about 9" for the coil & top shaft with a few inches inside = maybe about 55" TOTAL...???

When you get it dialed, please lettuce snow the length you came up with ;)

Last edited:
It depends on if it has one or two coils. You forgot to mention that critical detail..
Do they even MAKE a dual coil with a 17" shaft?

Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of a dual-coil; to shorten it even more and stay away from a long single coil so they don't risk it becoming self-resonant?

Do they even MAKE a dual coil with a 17" shaft?

Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of a dual-coil; to shorten it even more and stay away from a long single coil so they don't risk it becoming self-resonant?
Not sure if they sell them that way. Moving coil up towards the center would force you to lengthen the coil unless whip length remains the same which would result in a longer antenna. Additional coils are available though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.