• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

president grant 2

That radio is not marketed or sold in the U.S.

It is available from several sellers in Europe however. Prices are high and you have to find a shop willing to sell to U.S. residents.

I was able to get one from ThunderPole in the U.K. (you can Google them and find their site)

Mine also got hung-up in U.S. Customs and I had to complete a form to get it released that basically stated I was using it for testing and evaluation. Not sure why it got flagged as I have bought radios from various sellers from around the globe without incident.

In any case, I believe the radio is overpriced..........but, it is what the Uniden 980SSB SHOULD have been. I've been very pleased with its performance.

Good luck ! !

Reactions: 1 person
They are easy to get imported. I owned one for a short while. I liked it, but it's nowhere worth what you'll pay. If you can find a used one, that'll be the way to go.

That's if you really really really have to have one.

The optima mk3 can be had for 275 shipped from eBay, I have never owned one personally, but have heard many on ssb with them and they are rock solid!! And the built quality is solid as well IMO. I would think this would be a better option than the president grant 2. Not knocking the grant 2, but IMO the optima mk3 appears to be a better all around radio. Ask around. Again JMO. God bless

Ordered mine on a Tuesday got it on Friday. Customs was not an issue. Super fast shipping and tracking updates throughout the day. get it from the place that offers the fee speaker. :whistle:

Ordered mine on a Tuesday got it on Friday. Customs was not an issue. Super fast shipping and tracking updates throughout the day. get it from the place that offers the fee speaker. :whistle:

That's mighty fast. It takes 4 days just to ship something from California to the east coast. It must've came by jet.

Priority mail has been pretty fast for me lately, ordered some stuff from DNJ radio, and got it in 2 days from the order date, from west coast to central Florida. Seems like FED EX is taking their time these days as the antenna I ordered was shipped via fed ex and it took over a week to get to me. Luck of the draw maybe, but I will say this, fed ex packs their stuff a lot better than USPS. The last antenna I had come USPS, the top section of the whip was bent up and it wasn't in a tube or anything, just the regular plastic that comes over them. I will take the longer wait over fast shipping if the wait is worth it, as in I know when I receive the product it's going to work and I don't have to worry about it having been thrown around and possibly damaged.

Surprised me that it came that fast. I ordered it on a Tuesday morning around 6:00 am. DHL delivered it at 5:00 pm on that Friday. It left the UK to Cincinnati then here.

Priority mail has been pretty fast for me lately, ordered some stuff from DNJ radio, and got it in 2 days from the order date, from west coast to central Florida. Seems like FED EX is taking their time these days as the antenna I ordered was shipped via fed ex and it took over a week to get to me. Luck of the draw maybe, but I will say this, fed ex packs their stuff a lot better than USPS. The last antenna I had come USPS, the top section of the whip was bent up and it wasn't in a tube or anything, just the regular plastic that comes over them. I will take the longer wait over fast shipping if the wait is worth it, as in I know when I receive the product it's going to work and I don't have to worry about it having been thrown around and possibly damaged.

I ordered my sirio 5000 from dnj. It looked like a banana when I received it. It was wrapped in three different pieces of cardboard and a roll of tape. I was kind of mad when I first saw the box if that's what you want to call it. Very lucky it wasn't permanently bent. I've always had good experiences with DNJ other than that one time. They dropped the ball on the antenna though. probably the worst packaging I've ever had.

Have you put it through it's paces?
What are your thoughts on it and what freqs you use it for?

I love the radio itself but the sideband receive isn't as good as the 980. The white noise seems to be more of electrical pops and spikes rather than a solid consistent white noise. Even with the motor not running. Kind of like lightning strikes off in the distance kind of static. Thought it was just mine but delboy said his does it too plus I found a few videos showing the same thing. Google grant 2 vs grant sideband receive video and you'll see what I'm talking about. post the link if you will. Other than that I love the radio. Keys around 1.5 swings around 12 on AM after adjustments.

I've only used it on the regular 40 plus a few frequencies just above that.

Sounds just like what happened to me AL567, now they are shipping via fed-ex and the antenna comes ln a 8ft stiff cardboard round container. Much better for the antenna if you know what I mean. I was surprised the 1st one I got let's say that!! Just like you it was about like a banana and thank god it worked okay and didn't stay bent. Anyway just my experience. God bless. My new sirio turbo 5000 and pl145 mag mount are sitting at home waiting for me to get back home. Now all that is left is for me to remove the rg58 and replace it with some good LMR240. Until then the megawatt 4000 is doing the job!! And it works well too. At any rate I will be back in business soon. God bless.

Reactions: 2 people
I ordered my sirio 5000 from dnj. It looked like a banana when I received it. It was wrapped in three different pieces of cardboard and a roll of tape. I was kind of mad when I first saw the box if that's what you want to call it. Very lucky it wasn't permanently bent. I've always had good experiences with DNJ other than that one time. They dropped the ball on the antenna though. probably the worst packaging I've ever had.

I bought an antenna from DNJ and I think he pieced a couple of USPS boxes from 1983 together - low budget op but I can identify:mellow:.

Reactions: 2 people
Guess they never heard of tube mailers at DNJ. Wonder how H&Y ships their antennas. They are closer to me anyway. Kind of bad when your mail carrier hands you your antenna and it looks like its got a 10 pound bass hanging off the end of it :pop:

Very true!! Yeah my next order will be from H&Y myself!! And I hear ya on the 10lb bass!! Nothing like a bent whip lol!! Like said though, they are getting better as the last 2 I have gotten were shipped in the long tubes now and come via fed ex and not USPS.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.