• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President HR 2510 interesting findings...

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Hi Gang,
So, I picked up an HR 2510 and I have found some interesting thing sthat I have not seen in one before. This will be my 5th 2510 that I have worked on by the way. The 1st discovery was the the confuguration for the switch that was installed on the back. It has a resistor and diode tied to IC 103 (see below). Turns out that this model 2510 had talkback built in that could not be turned off. The original OP installed a switch and these parts to turn it off. Also, Q121 is missing. I am unsure what MOD that is at this point. It has a potentiometer installed for variable AM carrier, 11 meter mod and a few other things I am still trying to figure out if they are factory MODs or not such as this transistor mounted on the bottom (see below). Finally, if you have a 2510 I cannot stress enough the need to remove the glue. The amount of glue that was already corrosive was unreal. In this radio L124 had 2 out of the 3 wires eaten off. They were missing all together. Fortunantly, I have run into this before so I already had the coated wire for the re-wrap. It was a LOT of glue though!!!! See below.

20231019_181506.jpg
20231019_181513.jpg
20231019_231310.jpg

That's all for now...

Eventually I will take another go at the two HR2510 radios I got. 1st one has been the biggest problem, but the 2nd one I brought back from the dead by replacing a shorted diode/cap early on where the power comes in to the radio.

The diode mod to IC103 is very common. I do it on rigs that have the talkback bleed through.

The transistor on the main board is factory. Usually held down with Sony Death Bond. Remove that crap and use HY910 Thermal Adhesive/glue everywhere the death bond was.

I have one that the display won't come on until after a few minutes. I had another one that acted the same way

RE-cap the entire radio. Look for cold solder joints also. Remove all the Sony death bond glue and look for eaten away component legs and/or shorted parts from that glue.

May be worth a look also...
Go to YouTube and look up Defpom's Electronics, President Lincoln Repair, No.887

I have one that the display won't come on until after a few minutes. I had another one that acted the same way
There are 3 caps on the display board that I have replaced and fixed things. Also, on the CPU board replace the 2.2uf 50v and the 0.1uf 50 v next to IC314, those are the CPU Reset circuit caps. They cause bootup errors like the blank display and no TX or RX. Thats from Rogerbird.....

Another tip... this is from Mike's radio repair.

I use GC Electronics Radio-TV Service Solvent to soften up and remove the "Death" Bond from components, Unsolder parts from board, drop them in a small glass jar, like baby food jar size, soak them for a while then remove and pluck the softened Bond off with tweezers and/or a pick.

Use caution doing this as some parts are fragile and unobtanium unless you make your own.

Last jar of solvent I got was about $40 to my door for 16 Fl oz. Not cheap but I use for so many other things also. Plus it doesn't take much, just enough to cover the part for soaking.

1697917882987.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.