• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln AM carrier issues

Jericho

Feb 16, 2012
First time post for me. Great Site!

I scored a "Mint condition" President Lincoln on EBAY a week ago. It turned out to be a good looking specimen in fact. Got a couple new mikes wired up for it, thought I'd throw it on the wattmeter,scope snd dummy load to set my AMC and noticed the AM carrier is just at 5 watts, Hmmm. OK, I pop the hood, attach the o-scope and begin adjusting the AM power pot, maybe the last guy backed it down to run a linear amp. Well, as soon as I break 6 watt dead key anywhere in the 11-meter band, it begins to squeal until I back it down again. I back down the mike gain to nothing, same deal. I find that if I set the freq for 28Mhz, I can set the AM carrier at 10 watts or even 12w with no problem, no squeal. Is this just how this radio is? :sad:

Any ideas?

Thanx for any input

Jericho

Mine will drop down via the RF Power to about 3 watts dk, maxes out at about 10 watts. No squeal. Currently running a D104 hand mic on it set at 1 to 1 and a half on the scale.

Are there any other mods done to the rig?

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
Supposedly not according to the seller. You have the 3-10w power in 11-meter right? Interesting maybe my radio needs an alignment?

I've gathered that "Rogerbird" is the GURU on these and HR2510's Maybe I could pay him to straighten this thing out. :)

Last edited:
Yes, that is on 11 meters. I have heard nothing but great things about Rogerbird. Rogerbird answers my emails too. :)

RT307

That's good news! :) I've emailed my info to his his netscape addy at least twice tonight lol. My interenet connection has been mostly in failure due to the weather here in northern IL... Also PM'ed him here too.

Thanks for the help 2RT307

(y)

It's not a squeal really, it's some sort of added oscillation, it'll do it without even having a mike attached. Goes away at higher frequencies. Sounds alot like an alignment issue actually. Rogerbird is helping me out :)

Well, more examination showede that someone has tweaked L315 and L318 but not the others that should follow. That might explain alot. My O-scope is only a 30Mhz model so I'm gonna have to decide whether to Have rogerbird do it, or buy a better scope.. Hmm

TETRA stumbled upon a thread where a guy had to solder a ground strap to FT104 and screw it to the heat sink to eliminate a bad RF feedback problem and it totally solved my problem too. Just investigating the coil tampering now with a new freq counter and then I'll be happy. :D

Sorry for the late suggestion.....look to see if there is a insulator behind the final .... most do not have, and adding one with a little heat-sink compound will solve a lot of goofy dead key problems with these radios.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.