• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President madison/ not working

. . . Is the recieve tuning somthing that i can do?

Not really. It requires some special gear and the know-how to do it right. Best to send it to a qualified shop and let them align the receive, transmit, and other sections. Ask for a complete alignment; not merely a 'peak and tune'. Not the same things . . .

Reactions: 1 person
Not really. It requires some special gear and the know-how to do it right. Best to send it to a qualified shop and let them align the receive, transmit, and other sections. Ask for a complete alignment; not merely a 'peak and tune'. Not the same things . . .

So do you need a frequency counter made just for cb's or can you use a scope? Or is it more than that. I have a good friend that is super into electronics he just has never really messed with 2way stuff before. But he has scopes, logic analyzers and so on and can/has designed his own PCBs..

I don't know of any good shops in my area is there one you recommend? and also about how much it usually is for it to be completely peaked/tuned/aligned.

I'm just excited it works. Now i just have to figure out how i can reach to tune it without having to play the pull down and back up game until i get it in.

So do you need a frequency counter made just for cb's or can you use a scope? Or is it more than that. I have a good friend that is super into electronics he just has never really messed with 2way stuff before. But he has scopes, logic analyzers and so on and can/has designed his own PCBs..

I don't know of any good shops in my area is there one you recommend? and also about how much it usually is for it to be completely peaked/tuned/aligned.

I'm just excited it works. Now i just have to figure out how i can reach to tune it without having to play the pull down and back up game until i get it in.
He needs a sig gen that can do ~27mhz and a SINAD meter. Not to mention, the experience of tuning receivers . . .

as others stated no you cant tune recieve in a radio without proper equiment .
bobscb is good and DTB is also good. you,ll have to check thier website for shipping info

Thanks, it looks like there is something going on with the cobra 29 and the madison. Neither one has any "sound" on the recieving radio when it is keyed up. You can hear it transmit but whatever is spoken into the mic is not carried. By the looks of it, they both have been apart as the screws on the housing are rounded. I'll tear it apart and take a look to see if anything obvious is going on and what was messed with inside.

Thanks for the online shops hotrod.

are you using the same mic to test both radios?

if so, its most likely the mic that is the problem, not the radios.
LC

are you using the same mic to test both radios?

if so, its most likely the mic that is the problem, not the radios.
LC

I was thinking that too. It seems too coincidental that both the Cobra 29 and the Madison are suffering from the same symptom of producing a carrier with no modulation. I would get a mic that I knew worked and try again.

Is there a mic you can borrow from a friend?

I was thinking that too. It seems too coincidental that both the Cobra 29 and the Madison are suffering from the same symptom of producing a carrier with no modulation. I would get a mic that I knew worked and try again.

Is there a mic you can borrow from a friend?

No the mic that i tried on the both the 29 and the madison is off of my 19. The 19 and its mic both work because i talked to my neighbor on that mic and 19 out of my truck. So i pulled the mic from the 19 and used it and just hooked up the midland that i have laying around and was using that for a test radio on the recieve and thats how i figured out the 29 and the madison had issues. And if i hook the midland up to my base antenna and the 19 back into the truck everything works fine. So it has to be both something going on in the radios. I talked to the guy who gave me the radio's and he said his father wasn't using the madison that he was using a different base, so there is a good chance it and the 29 are both messed up.

On another note. I picked up the swr meter from my friend today and retested the penetrator. On my radio shack meter im getting 3+ for both 1 and 40 and on an old royce meter i'm getting the same results. Looks like the cobra 29 that i used to tune the antenna boned me, that was before i found out the damn thing wasn't working correctly.

Now i don't really understand how to trouble shoot a base antenna, but what could be causing that high of an swr? I'm going to go back on the roof in a few minutes and see if i can make some lenght adjustments and see if it gets any better. If not could it be a coax problem? or a ground plane issue with my radials? I do have a multi meter, is there anyway to check for a problem through the antenna?

I just checked the swr again 5 hours later. Instead of being just a little passed 3, its now fluctuates between the calibration line and just a little before. There is deff. an issue going on there somwhere with the antenna. Its a little breezy today and if i'm trying to calibrate or check the swr its moving the needle around. Also i went onto the roof and shook the mast just enough to get it to whip around a little and you can hear a noise on occasion that sounds like a speaker being plugging into a jack of somthing thats on. Like a static click noise. I may be better off just picking up a new antenna and giving up on the penetrator.

some of the little cobra radio mics have a off color push button on them and that mic will not have modulation on other radios. if the button is a off color might be your problem also. they will only work on the type radios it came with.

some of the little cobra radio mics have a off color push button on them and that mic will not have modulation on other radios. if the button is a off color might be your problem also. they will only work on the type radios it came with.

I never noticed it but the mic button is grey and the plastic housing on the rest of the mic is black.

Last edited:
that mic will not work on any thing but the little radios it comes on.

crap. ok. I have a cobra power mic i rewired to 4 pin from 5 that acted funny on the model 19. Should i give it a shot on the madison?

EDIT.
Just for learning sake, what is the difference? i did have a rf limited mic on the model 19 and it worked fine?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.