• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problems with Yaesu FT-1802 receive

NeoHam

New Again
Mar 27, 2012
MidMichigan
I bought two Yaesu FT-1802 rigs at a hamfest and both have the same problem. Both receivers are no where as good as my scanner. I can pick up 5 weather stations with my scanner and these units can barely pick up 1. Same antenna. All repeaters are very weak. It seems like there's some kind of attenuation but I can't find anything in the manual.

The problem you describe is common to most modern FM transceivers. This affects modern Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom radios. The problem is the current batch of Toko IF flters. The old batch had an incorporated series capacitor inside the filter. The new batch does not. Since there is a DC Bias on that circuit, the DC gets fed to the filter. Modern monolithic filters cannot stand DC applied to them, as this slowly causes "whiskers". These whiskers cause deterioration of the filter, and eventual deafness.

You need to replace the filter, and add a series capacitor to the circuit to prevent this occurring again.

More info here: The mystery of the failing filters
and
The Mysterious Case of the Withering Filters

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 person
Great info about the filters but my problem was Wide mode. Putting it in Narrow mode cured them and they work great. The one I was using has a problem where it reverts back to wide mode and I didn't notice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.