• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

protection diode for uniden pc68xl

fnkycoldmedina

May 18, 2005
pa
does anyone know the location for the protection diode in the pc68xl?i have one here thats acting like its dead shorted.usually the protection diode is right on back of the power connector but not so in this radio.the power lead goes thru a small ferrit then right to the board .any ideas???thanks.

If somebody removed it, it (the diode itself) would not be acting as a dead short; it'd be an open circuit both ways.

If the DC input is shorted both polarities (using a good meter to check), you might have some severe problems.

well like i said the power lead goes thru a small piece of ferrite then into the board .the protection diode must be in series on the board,i could follow the circut to it but i,d rather be sure from someone that knows as this is not my radio.there is nothing on the rear of the power jack.i doubt it was removed this is a new uniden refurb radio.do they warranty thier refurbed radios?anyone know?

look straight down on the board where the power comes in from the power cord socket they ar usually right ther close to that power lead comming from the power pin on the power socket it will be on the component side of the board and is small and black with a silver or white band going around one end you may have to look close if its burnt pretty bad you will also find that when you grab it with a tweezers or needle nose ETC to pull it when heating it up it will most likely crumble apart.. Make sure the new one is put in correct. Banded end on rectifier diode (protection diode) is on the arrow side of the marking on the board.

If somebody removed it, it (the diode itself) would not be acting as a dead short; it'd be an open circuit both ways.

If the DC input is shorted both polarities (using a good meter to check), you might have some severe problems.

It would if the short was on the board furthur into the circuit because the diode wasn't there for protection as it was intended to be.

Reverse Polarity Diode is D-17,in the uniden pc-66xl
It is a IN4000 series Diode.It will be located in the
Right Rear corner of the PCB with knobs facing you.
Parts Side up.It will be a black diode with a white stripe.
Check with you volt meter if it reads full scale.It is shorted.
Replace with a IN4004 or IN4003 Diode..some might say
just clip it out.I would not suggest that.That will restore
power BUT IF IT EVER GETS HOOKED UP REVERSED AGAIN
ITS GONNA DO SOME MAJOR DAMAGE

thanks for everything guys ...it was d-17 in this radio.i changed it out and radio is back to life .what would we do without the internet?its a great thing.thanks again....

fnky

It would if the short was on the board furthur into the circuit because the diode wasn't there for protection as it was intended to be.

I was talking about "the diode itself". If the diode has been removed, it (by itself) can't be either an open circuit OR a short circuit. It's not there at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.