• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Protection diode on rci 2950

kd8hjr

Mar 3, 2008
So tonight I got in a hurry to try out a new power supply and hooked up the radio backwards, now it doesn't work... at all....

Figured I probably blew the protection diode but I cannot find information on which one it is. I see three black diodes with silver bands in the back corner by the power leads, could all three of them be protection diodes?

If anyone could give me a board number to identify the right one it would be appreciated, as I would rather own a $200 radio and not a $200 boat anchor.

Look at the diode that jumps right across the plus and mius connections on the power plug socket inside the radio on the back you will see a rectifier diode there and look straight down where the positive and negative power leads come off the back of the power plug socket and go to the board usually you can see the burnt discolored rectifier diode right there but start at the plug socket itself.

Sometimes the protection diode won't appear to be cracked - but it doesn't mean it isn't bad.
Find the correct diode in the schematic -as Tony mentioned- and unsolder just one of the legs. The radio should come on.

I'm not familliar to the particular radio you have. But if it has choke coils from the power plug to the board - they can also be burned and be open not allowing power to the board. You can jump them if the are burned; as they are just there for noise filtering.

Next time - take the time!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.